Wordcraft Community Home Page
Action words: verbs

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9771078634

February 19, 2007, 21:03
wordcrafter
Action words: verbs
We'll take action this week. That is to say, we'll look at some verbs.

In yesterday's word aspergillum [a tool for sprinkling holy water] we saw a root that means 'to sprinkle'. That same root gives us today's word, which has both literal and figurative senses of sprinkling.

asperse1. to sprinkle 2. to spread false or damaging charges or insinuations against [more familiar is to cast aspersions]
February 21, 2007, 07:10
wordcrafter
bloviate – to speak or write verbosely and windily
[This word is almost entirely restricted to the United States. (Quinion)]
Is it a slightly different use in the last quote, for 'putting one's foot in one's mouth'?
February 22, 2007, 05:50
wordcrafter
to racket – to make or move with a loud distressing noise (also, to lead an active social life)
February 22, 2007, 12:01
missann
quote:
aspergillum [a tool for sprinkling holy water]

An aspergillum is a perforated ball on a stick (usually metal) that is dipped into the holy water. The holes in the ball take up the water and then the priest shakes the water over the congregation.
Aspergillus is a fungus such as the common bread mold. When you look at it under a microscope (or possibly with a hand lens) you can see long "sticks" with a fuzzy ball at the ends, resembling an aspergillum.
February 22, 2007, 21:08
wordcrafter
scud – to move fast in a straight line because or as if driven by the wind (noun, literary: clouds or spray driven fast by the wind)
February 23, 2007, 18:42
wordcrafter
insidiate – to lie in ambush (for); to plot (against)

A very rare word but, in my judgment, a very useful one. OED lists it as "obsolete," but here's a recent example.
February 24, 2007, 20:11
wordcrafter
thrum – to make a continuous rhythmic humming sound [with the suggestion of surpressed power about to break fourth] (noun: the sound itself)
[The dictionaries have differing or further definitions. But what I've written seems to match actual usage.]

Authors of romance novels seem to love this word, as in our last pair of quotes.
A reader notes: I once ran across an excellent definition that helped me remember this term … . It was described as a "throbbing hum", which was not only somewhat mnemonic, but (by the same dubious source) the combiniation of the terms was purportedly the origin of the term. True or not, it's helped me keep the idea of its meaning in mind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
February 26, 2007, 09:02
wordcrafter
Don Quixote explains today's term and its place and importance in the language. Winkeruct – to belch (literally, or metaphorically, as to eject in large quantities)
February 26, 2007, 10:57
<Asa Lovejoy>
I believe this relates to Archie Bunker's earliest relative, Pithecanthropus Eructus
March 02, 2007, 14:01
Kalleh
I was at a meeting last week, and one of the people there said a new buzzword in academia is incentivize. She said she's heard it a million times recently. Have others? I haven't ever heard it.
March 02, 2007, 14:37
Richard English
It's common enough here - though it would usually be spelt with an "ise" ending.

Richard English
March 02, 2007, 17:38
<Asa Lovejoy>
I've heard it from pseudo-academics and government policy wanks -er, wonks.