Wordcraft Community Home Page
Jane Austen #3

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9781073651

February 28, 2005, 20:59
wordcrafter
Jane Austen #3
Once again, we'll take our theme from the divine lady of letters.

superannuated – 1. ineffective, or sent out to pasture, because of old age. 2. outmoded; obsolete.
March 01, 2005, 06:06
Robert Arvanitis
"Ineffective, outmoded, obsolete, sent out to pasture."

UK term "superannuation fund" carries a sadder, more worn-out feel than the comparable US terms "pension" or "retired."

That is unfortunate, given the Roman wisdom: "Ad triarios redisse."

RJA
March 02, 2005, 07:20
wordcrafter
Today, I will end with two questions, seeking reader input.

sedulous – showing dedication and diligence. (noun: sedulity)
(negative connotation? see questions below)Bonus words:
ossify
(trans. or intrans.) – to make into bone; hence, to cease developing, and become rigidly set in in conventional patterns
assiduous – working with constant, persistent attention; unremitting

Questions; can readers help?
1) To me the word sedulous carries a strong negative sense, as quoted above, but I can't put my finger on it. Help!
2) What's the difference between sedulous and assiduous?
. . .Ms. Dot Wordsworth (apt name!) asks that question in The Spectator and, admitting that she cannot give an answer, enjoyably tells of the words' interesting histories.
March 02, 2005, 07:32
Robert Arvanitis
Well, "sedulous" screams "seditious" to the ear.

Not a bad thing I suppose, if you are in diehard opposition.

RJA
March 02, 2005, 07:34
Robert Arvanitis
quote:
sedulous

From http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=s&p=11:

1540, from L. sedulus "attentive, painstaking," probably from sedulo (adv.) "sincerely, diligently," from sedolo "without deception or guile," from se- "without, apart" (see secret) + dolo, ablative of dolus "deception, guile," cognate with Gk. dolos.

RJA
March 02, 2005, 07:36
Robert Arvanitis
Whereas "assiduous"

1538, from L. assiduus "busy, incessant, continual, constant," from assidere "to sit down to," thus "constantly occupied" at one's work (see assess). The word acquired a taint of "servility" in 18c. (op. cit.)

SO the contrast is between "guileless dutifulness" and somewhat less noble "beavering away."

RJA
March 02, 2005, 08:00
tsuwm
>strong negative sense

I don't entirely agree; sedulous merely adds a more persistent shading, which is of itself neutral. Having said that, persistance is not always a good thing! : )
March 02, 2005, 10:52
arnie
I agree with tsuwm; I certainly wouldn't see a negative connotation in sedulous. In fact, if forced to choose between negative or positive, I'd say it has a positive connotation.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
March 02, 2005, 11:09
Robert Arvanitis
Oh yeah, Arnie?

Then what about the Alien and Sedulous Act of 1798? http://earlyamerica.com/earlyamerica/milestones/sedition/

Or the US Sedulous Act of 1918?
http://www.lib.byu.edu/~rdh/wwi/1918/usspy.html

RJA
March 03, 2005, 07:10
wordcrafter
puppyism – extreme meanness, affectation, conceit, or impudence

On the torture of waiting in line behind a slow, fussy customer:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
March 03, 2005, 22:26
wordcrafter
self-consequence – self-importance; an exaggerated estimate of one's own importance
March 05, 2005, 07:53
wordcrafter
As you may have noticed, our Austen quotes this week feature her deft skewering of her characters' foibles.

importunate – pesteringly urgent and overly pressing in request (as a pushy beggar)
[importune – to harass with persistent requests; (also; to offer one’s services as a prostitute)]
Follow up: Joe, a reader, comments on the word sedulous. He notes that a significant fraction of its Google hits also include the word 'devil', and he states, "I think that sedulous is often linked to the Devil/Satan, in the notion that evil is always working to triumph. I think from there it is linked by its similarity to seduction (a word that has some negative connotations as well). I remember that I thought it meant the movement of a snake for the longest time."

March 06, 2005, 08:31
wordcrafter
Today's word seems to be Jane Austen's own coinage. Her word would be very useful, but almost no one has used it (except in a different sense, a movement in poetry and architecture), so I must provide a definition.

imaginist – one who lives in a world created by his or her active imagination
March 06, 2005, 09:57
Robert Arvanitis
Just the omission of Jane Austen's books alone would make a fairly good library out of a library that hadn't a book in it.

Mark Twain
US humorist, novelist, short story author, & wit (1835 - 1910)

RJA
March 06, 2005, 10:11
Robert Arvanitis
http://www.twainquotes.com/Austen_Jane.html

RJA
March 09, 2005, 06:50
wordcrafter
Oops! Sorry for the couple days' delay; we'll catch up. Nice irony in today's quotation.

tremulous - shaking slightly, quivering, as with nervousness, timidity, or excitement