Wordcraft Community Home Page
Stonehenge

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9931006665

October 15, 2008, 20:44
wordcrafter
Stonehenge
This week’s words are taken from Smithsonian Magazine of this month, reporting on a rare event: an excavation at Stonehenge. megalith – a very large stone used in various prehistoric architectures or monumental styles, notably in western Europe during the second millennium B.C.
[Ancient Greek megas great+ lithos stone]
October 16, 2008, 20:10
Kalleh
I regret that Shu and I never visited Stonehenge when we were in England. That's a good reason to visit England again!
October 16, 2008, 20:12
<Proofreader>
You can always open a rock door easily if it's mounted on a Stonehenge.
October 17, 2008, 00:36
Richard English
quote:
I regret that Shu and I never visited Stonehenge when we were in England. That's a good reason to visit England again!

Although it's a site worth seeing, there are plenty that are more interesting, if less famous. Next time you're over we must arrange some visits to a few ancient sites - Avebury, Grimes Graves, Bath - there are plenty of them.

So, England for Wordcraft 2009?

Richard English
October 17, 2008, 05:38
zmježd
Stonehenge

Henge is related to both hang and hinge. I visited Stonehenge in '76, when you could still walk around among the stones. One of the larger bits of graffiti was Christopher Wrenn's name scraped onto one of the massive (tipped) uprights. There are many single standing stones in the British Isles and parts of France called menhirs. This being one of the few words from Breton I know of in the English language.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 17, 2008, 06:39
arnie
To my mild shame I've never visited Stonehenge. I've seen it from a distance a couple of times when driving past on the A303 main road.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 17, 2008, 07:09
wordcrafter
You know what the famous three-stone arches at Stonehenge look like. But what are they called? Well, just as megalith meant "big stones" (no lewd comments, please!), the name of those three-stone arches means "three stones".

trilithon; trilith – a monument consisting of three stones (esp. one forming a kind of doorway: two uprights supporting a crosspiece)
[Greek tri- three + lithos stone]
lintelarchitecture: a horizontal piece spanning an opening (of a door, window, etc.)
[prob. akin to limit; altered by influence of Latin limen threshold]Bonus word:
retinue
– a group of advisers or assistants accompanying an important person
[from Old French meaning "to keep back, retain"]
October 17, 2008, 08:14
<Proofreader>
"I'm sorry," said Dorothy to her metal friend. "There is just too much rust. We'll have to retinue."
October 18, 2008, 09:47
wordcrafter
henge – a sacred enclosure typically comprising a circular bank and a ditch

In its earliest years Stonehenge was no different from many other sites.[Originally the word "henge" seemed to refer to a circle of stones (or even hanging stones). Dictionaries tend to define it that way, but in current usage the circle may one without stones, as here.]
October 19, 2008, 09:20
wordcrafter
The Smithsonian article focuses not on the huge trilithons, but on the smaller-but-still-massive bluestones. With their arrival, Stonehenge was no longer an ordinary henge like any other.

bluestone1. a bluish-gray sandstone used for paving and building (or 2. a similar stone)Sidenote: The bluestones of Stonehenge fall under part 2 of the definition, not part 1 ("sandstone"). Sandstone is a sedimentary rock, but the Stonehenge bluestones are "igneous rocks, such as dolerite and rhyolite—so called because they take on a bluish hue when wet or cut." (emph. added)
October 19, 2008, 10:51
zmježd
Two other stone terms I've always liked: celt (both the stone tool (adze) and the toy rattleback or wobble stone) and acheulean handaxe.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
October 19, 2008, 11:23
Valentine
In the wilds of western Nebraska is Carhenge.
I've been there. I didn't make a special trip for it, though.
October 20, 2008, 07:17
wordcrafter
Yesterday we "focuse[d] not on the huge trilithons, but on … bluestones." The trilithons are made of a stone whose name preserves a striking image: it is from Saracen – a Muslim, esp. with reference to the Crusades.

sarsen – one of the numerous large boulders or blocks of sandstone found scattered on the surface of the chalk downs
October 20, 2008, 21:03
wordcrafter
Our final quote from the Stonehenge article is a nice metaphorical use of a medical term.

keyhole surgery – surgery through a very small incision
[minimally invasive; much less traumatic to the patient than traditional open surgery. More technically called endoscopic surgery or laparoscopic surgery.]Interestingly, "Wainwright had been English Heritage's chief archaeologist for several years. … Darvill had worked with the organization on a plan … which made the case for small-scale, targeted excavations. " A cynic might suspect that when you want to make "the first excavation in 44 years", it helps to have an "in" with the organization whose permission is required.