Wordcraft Community Home Page
'Hard words' from "River Horse"

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/9961073502

June 04, 2005, 23:01
wordcrafter
'Hard words' from "River Horse"
Kilpatrick runs through some of the terrible words a reader sent to him. "One of my readers sat down recently to read a book. She kept getting up. After a while she wrote me a cranky letter. She wrote: 'I am disgusted and appalled by having to look up a word every fourth or fifth sentence.' She enclosed a partial list of words she had stumbled over before she was halfway through the book."

As you can imagine, I just had to see that book. It is River Horse, A Voyage Across America, by William Least Heat Moon, telling of the author's crossing of the United States almost entirely by riverboat.

The book is not bad as all that. Its hard words are nowhere near so thickly seeded in the text, and often they are clear from context or do not distract. This week we'll enjoy some of them, starting with two today

incarnadine – 1. of a fleshy pink color. 2. blood-red

anadromous – migrating up rivers from the sea, to spawn in fresh water
Compare catadromous – living in fresh water but migrating to marine waters to breed.
[from Gk., running up and running down respectively]
June 05, 2005, 05:04
Robert Arvanitis
Terrific find -- excellent example for the "nice distinctions" category.

Visit http://www.gma.org/Tidings/anacata.html for the sad tale of the eel.

Are there no "syndromous" fish, those who stay put, to avoid the eel's fate?

RJA
June 05, 2005, 10:49
Seanahan
You missed my favorite use of the word incarnadine, oh wait, the only time I've really ever heard it before.

The multitudinous seas incardadine, making the green ones red
June 05, 2005, 11:08
aput
Indeed, the Macbeth is why any reasonably educated person should know 'incarnadine', as it instantly recalls that line.
June 05, 2005, 23:25
tinman
quote:
Originally posted by aput:
Indeed, the Macbeth is why any reasonably educated person should know 'incarnadine', as it instantly recalls that line.

So, anyone who cannot recall that line or who has not read Macbeth is not "reasonable educated?"

Tinman
June 06, 2005, 10:26
wordcrafter
palliate – 1. to mitigate 2. to extenuate
[i.e., 1. to make (pain or disease) less severe 2. to make fault or crime seem less severe, with excuses and apologies. from L. meaning 'to cloak; to conceal']

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
June 08, 2005, 07:37
wordcrafter
cheval-de-frise (pl. chevaux de ~) – 1. an obstacle of jagged glass, spikes, etc. set into the top of a wall 2. orig. military: a defensive line of spikes, etc., to block advance of the enemy (e.g., cavalry)
[lit. horse of Friesland, because used there as a defense, compensating for lack of cavalry]

Our first two quotations illustrate these usages. Our third gives two more definitions, which are very interesting ("literary device"? "chastity belt"?), but I can't confirm them.

June 09, 2005, 09:32
wordcrafter
surreptitious – taken 'on the sly', secretly or furtively, with efforts to avoid detection

chandler
1. chiefly Brit; usu. contemptuous: a small shopkeeper selling provisions, groceries, etc.
2. a retailer of specified goods or lines [typ. nautical], as, a ship chandler
3. a candle-maker or candle-seller [Note: This sense is the earlier.]
chandlery – his shop

This definition combines several dictionaries plus my own thoughts. Readers, do you agree with me when I say 'chiefly Brit', 'usu. contemptuous', 'small' and 'typ. nautical'?
June 09, 2005, 11:32
arnie
I have never thought of chandler as in any way contemptuous. I can't say that I've ever used it in the wider sense, and can only recall seeing it used in ship's chandler.

Nowadays small stores of that type are very few and far between.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
June 09, 2005, 23:26
wordcrafter
Our author's odyssey cannot begin before spring thaws the rivers, and must be complete before the late fall freeze. As the author muses over the tight limit looming over him, he indulges in a truly obscure word.What is a 'vinegaroon', or 'vinegarroon'? There is a memorable definition in a children's book from the Hardy Boys series: The Sting of the Scorpion by Franklin W. Dixon:Picture here (ugh). Ladies, how'd you like to have sons like that?

June 10, 2005, 07:07
Ros
I've not heard chandler in that first sense either - that sort of small shop is what I would call a damn-it shop (apologies for the vocab). As in, "Damn it, we've run out of bread/milk/eggs"...