Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Good books for the holidays?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good books for the holidays? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I like to buy books for the readers in our family for Hanukkah. Any good ideas? Two I am thinking of:

1) The Good Father by Noah Hawley

2) Coming out soon - The Undoing Project by Michael Lewis

Has anyone read the first or heard anything about the second? The first is a novel that comes highly recommended by a friend, though not all reviews are good. Yet, oftentimes I don't agree with the reviews of Amazon readers anyway. The second was mentioned in David Brooks column in the NYT today and sounds intriguing, and I know my daughter loves WWII books.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a fun, kind of juvenile, short read for the holidays, I would recommend Janet Evanovich's VISIONS OF SUGAR PLUMS. I listened to it on audio last year and laughed myself silly.

On another note, I have been trying to see most of the movie versions of Dickens' A CHRISTMAS CAROL. I have a feeling someone will buy my one of the ones I haven't seen yet for Christmas. So far, I haven't decided which one I like best, but it is probably my favorite Christmas book and movie.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
My favorite holiday movie is Bad Santa.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Every year, at the start of December, my brother embarks on his holiday tradition of watching EVERY version of "A Christmas Carol" that he can find. He has a very extensive collection ranging from the Seymour Hicks in 1913 to Jim Carey in 2009 and taking in things like Barbie's Christmas Carol along the way.

Posts: 7858 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
my brother embarks on his holiday tradition of watching EVERY version of "A Christmas Carol" that he can find.

I'm sure there is a cure...

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5991 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Every year, at the start of December, my brother embarks on his holiday tradition of watching EVERY version of "A Christmas Carol" that he can find. He has a very extensive collection ranging from the Seymour Hicks in 1913 to Jim Carey in 2009 and taking in things like Barbie's Christmas Carol along the way.

I don't believe that I have seen the 1913 one. You will have to ask him what is his favorite version if he has one. I haven't seen Barbie's and I am not sure I want to see that one. Big Grin

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Don't need to ask him - I've heard often enough. His favourite is Alastair Sim, 1959.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
my brother embarks on his holiday tradition of watching EVERY version of "A Christmas Carol" that he can find.
Love it, Bob! I like to watch different versions, too.

My favorite holiday movies are White Christmas and the earlier version of Miracle on 34th Street.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnBC8LELm4

has to be one of the strangest variations

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
quote:
Love it, Bob! I like to watch different versions, too.

My favorite holiday movies are White Christmas and the earlier version of Miracle on 34th Street.

Everyone in my family loves WHITE CHRISTMAS, even my 42 year-old son recently watched it again and texted me asking if I had ever noticed something in it. My sister and I can pretty much do all the dialogue and songs by heart. I agree with you on MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET. I always wonder why you would try to remake that movie because it is so "right" as it is. Wasn't Natalie Wood just adorable at that age?

Of course there is one more really classic movie, too. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE is a wonderful Christmas movie! I think when Jimmy Stewart kisses Donna Reed for the first time, it is one of the most powerful and moving romantic scenes of all time. Stewart thought maybe they should redo the scene because he was out of practice, having just gotten back, I believe from the service. I am glad that they didn't redo it. The movie, with the whole theme, of what would have happened had you never been born and how your very being impacts others is something we don't usually consider. How others' lives impact our own is not usually considered very much, also. I find it an important movie for any time of the year and definitely one of my favorite Christmas movies.

On another note, I just finished listening to DASHING THROUGH THE SNOW by Debbie Macomber. It was only okay, not as funny as she apparently thought it was. It was a little cheesy, lightweight, not at all believable, but okay if you are in the mood for that kind of fare.

posted Hide Post
quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDnBC8LELm4

has to be one of the strangest variations

Yikes, I agree!

posted Hide Post
Does anyone have any good Christmas themed books to recommend? I am open to all genres.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
We are Jewish and celebrate Hanukkah, so not so much. However, when our kids were growing up, we had a book with 8 Jewish stories, and we read one each night of Hanukkah. I'd love to find that book again, but I can't remember the name. I've been trying to Google it, but haven't found it. Any ideas?

posted Hide Post
First of all Kalleh, was it considered a children's book? Secondly, what year was this? Was it a new book? Hardback or paperback? Do you remember anything about the individual stories? I have found books on Amazon when I haven't known the title or author by using their advanced search feature, and by patiently persisting.

posted Hide Post
I hope that one of these is what you are seek.
Possible titles:
The Power of Light: Eight Stories for Hanukkah

Candle Light Stories: Eight Little Tales of Chanuko

The Eight Nights of Hanukkah

The Spotted Pony: A Collection of Hanukkah Stories

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It was the Power of Light! I am ordering it now for my new granddaughter. We loved that book.

posted Hide Post
I had a feeling that it might be that first book! Glad it was!

posted Hide Post
A Christmas Carol

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard of Beatlebone? It was discussed on NPR today and looks good.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought that I would post this for you to share with your brother. I can't wait to see it!

The Man Who Invented Christmas

posted Hide Post
quote:
It was the Power of Light! I am ordering it now for my new granddaughter. We loved that book.

I have a great niece who has both a Jewish heritage and a Christian one, at your recommendation, I may order this book for her.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's a little early, but any recommendations for the 2017 holidays? I buy books for all my family members. And now I have a darling little granddaughter!

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's a little early, but any recommendations for the 2017 holidays? I buy books for all my family members. And now I have a darling little granddaughter!

How old is your granddaughter, Kalleh?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
She just turned 16 months. I love buying her books. I am in San Diego now for a conference and bought her a book from my very favorite book store: the Upstart Crow.

A wordcraft prize for those who can tell me where the phrase upstart crow comes from (without looking it up of course!).

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
From the BBC series of the same name. Big Grin

(Of course I know... the series is a comedy about Shakespeare. Moderately amusing though hard to say who it is aimed at with its curious mix of coarse humour and Shakespearean in-jokes)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here is a link about the term.

It's pretty funny when you think about it. Who knows, maybe five centuries from now everyone will be laughing at all the media insults tossed at Donald because, as it turns out, he is judged as one of our best presidents.

I checked the WC archives and found that I've written about this wonderful book store before - and the related name. Eek

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Just for you, Kalleh, here are my three sons' favorite childhood books:

Eldest loved "Bunnies and Their Hobbies" by Nancy Carlson (he loved it age 2 - 3). He turned out to be not an avid reader of books per se [more of an online reader/ researcher], tho he always loved books by comics like Dave Barry, David Sedaris, Jerry Seinfeld.

Middle son's fave from age 2 - 3-1/2 y.o. was a book/CD about bunnies in a hollow -- it was a depressing tale of construction projects encroaching on bunny habitat -- bunnies captured in cages, seduced by being fed-- called "Farewell to Shady Glade" by Bill Peet. I want to say "don't go there"-- but this was my one real [future] reader of serious fiction, gobbling Oz stories in primary & Harry Potter in midsch & still at age-nearly-30 filling in lit gaps w/classic poetry, Kurt Vonnegut etc.

Youngest totally enchanted age 18 mos-2-1/2 yo by "Happy, Sad, Angry, Excited (making faces) by Keith Faulkner. He turned out to be not so much of a reader in adulthood-- (he has spent most free time since age14 on musical pursuits) but in midsch he totally got into SE Hinton & other series [the Shadow Children; Everworld].

So my kids were not exactly bookworms, but they had their faves as tots. I have given my nephew "Pat the Bunny" (as an infant), then 'Make Way for Ducklings' as an 18-mo-old, then a series of PreK board-books in Spanish-- because he's had a Span-speaking bbs since infancy who loves to read to him in Spanish.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bethree5,

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post