Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    How do YOU read?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How do YOU read? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Steve Chapman wrote an interesting article on how he reads books.
quote:
Yes, months, because after a youth spent gobbling down books like a starving goat, I have come to understand the wisdom of taking ... them ... slowly. It's not much of an accomplishment to have read every important author if most of what they wrote escapes you afterward.

So I try to pay attention to every word and sentence, underlining the ones that grab me. And I don't read books once. I read them twice: stopping every 50 or 100 pages to go back and read them again.

Given my inadequate capacity for retention, it's the only way I can remember what I've read for more than 72 hours. And if I really want to remember it — well, there's no law against reading the same volume three times.

The first time through, I'm reading the book. The second time, I'm living in it. The third time, it's taking up permanent residence in me.
Because of taking so long to read one book, Chapman says he only reads about 12 books or so in a year...but he reads them really well. Doing it that way, book selection would be very important to him, I'd think.

How about you? How do you read books? Does anyone read them similar to Chapman?

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Given my inadequate capacity for retention,

A substandard reader offering reading advice?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6001 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To me he's a speed reader. I only can read about twenty words per minute with any comprehension. It made me a very poor student, since I rarely finished reading assignments. Too bad there were few audio books when I was in school.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4443 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too bad there were few audio books when I was in school.

Not to mention electricity.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure he's substandard, Proof. Do you know him? He writes some excellent columns. He's just being honest.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I suspect it's another of proofs little jokes.
And FWIW I too have slowed down as I've got older. There was a time whenm I'd go through at least a book a day. Now, even having bought some real books on paper, it's unusual to make a book a month.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I, too, take much longer when reading books than I used to, but that's mainly because I spend less time reading them rather than because my reading speed has slowed down.

My leisure time now is spent more on reading the interweb and watching TV, rather than reading books.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I continue to read books the way I did in college, with a highlighter nearby, saving the folding-back-of-a-page for REALLY-big insights or fabulously-written passages. In my mind, I am anticipating a discussion (perhaps this is why I'm drawn to book clubs), & in my heart I'm a wanna-be writer.

Being in a book club ensures I read twelve books a year thoroughly (like the author), learning more from group discussion. I squeeze another 10 or so in during the work year to cover my own druthers (just can't get the gals to enjoy JCOates! & then there's offbeat stuff like "The Gang that Couldn't Shoot Straight" [Breslin; current read], & topical & professional interests). Plus vacation reading (last Aug = 8 Scandinavian mysteries).

Goodreads.com feeds my need for discussion on those non-book-club reads.

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I continue to read books the way I did in college, with a highlighter nearby, saving the folding-back-of-a-page for REALLY-big insights or fabulously-written passages.

Emergency! Are there any "book-desecrater police" available in the TriState area?

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I read a lot of books. I listen to many of them either on CD or through my phone through electronic downloads. Some I will still read. I usually have 3 or more books going at a time. One on my phone, one in the car, one or more print books. I also will read several picture books (children's) in the midst of each cycle of the others. I realize that not everyone does this sort of crazed overconsumption, but it works for me. I don't highlight unless it's a book I own in print (very rare as I usually borrow from the Library) or it is a study guide of some sort. That is how I read.

I keep track, now, on goodreads.com and I love that record-keeping. It has helped me tremendously in being able to recommend books to others who happen to enjoy what I enjoy or who might enjoy what I've read.

I don't always choose things I know that I'll like because I feel it is important to read what my customers are requesting. This has led me to discover some books that I abhor, but I've also found some authors that I enjoy.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've never listened to books in my car, and particularly when I used to drive to work (I take a train now), I should have. What a great way to spend the time.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've never listened to books in my car

But, since I don't have a cassette player, I make my wife read out loud.

Nollidj is power.