Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    What Are You Reading Right Now?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Are You Reading Right Now? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Tinman, I am getting it! It sounds wonderful.

Posts: 23300 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
OK sharing my current read just cuz it's interesting-- but can't recommend it because it's not translated.

At this point [summer] my only teaching is a conversation class for Mom & son who work on French conversational ability. They are my only remaining French students since late-2000's when everything PreK wentSpanish... but the son started w/me in 2003 as a 2-1/2yo Zfrench student, & later prevailed upon his Mom to bring me on as family tutor, as French disappeared from school offerings...

Anyhoo it was about time to beef up my French reading-- which always reinvigorates fluency-- so I ordered a couple of 'mysteries'. This one is by Jean D'Aillon, who churns out historical mystery novels across the whole spectrum, specializing in medieval stuff & the religious [Huguenot] wars of the 16thc. Mine: "Le Vol du Sancy" (The Theft of the Sancy)is of the latter genre, taking place in 1591 Tours. This period was rife w/espionage, & the author uses that while introducing a 'mystery', the theft of one of the finest/ largest gems in history, the Sancy diamond, which in those days Nicolas de Sancy actually carried around in a box with his mounted baggage as he sashayed about raising armies to support Henri IV.

I don't do historical fiction much, but when I do, I love being transported to a very realistic but other place. And what I particularly like about this novel is that all the characters are real & you can learn more about their context online. About the only fictional invention here is this particular diamond heist, & the creative [but credible & historically-based] methods used by the protagonist to bring various parties [diamond thieves, & also über-Catholic 'black hand' torturers] to justice.

Posts: 2050 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
And, Sattva, Maryland's Digital Library does have Word by word: the secret life of dictionaries. Notice that the title of the book is Word by Word but the cover lists it as Word By Word.

Thanks, tinman! Now, I just have to get back to reading. Besides reading for a talk/discussion I led last week on the Dalai Lama/Desmond Tutu book, I haven't been reading at all. I have been known to go in spurts like this with reading. Right now, most free days, I have been spending time helping my one sister go through and clean out my dad's apartment. Having grown-up during the depression, he hung on to everything!!! It has been quite the undertaking. He told my sister fairly recently that he had money stashed away and was going to tell her where he had it hidden. Unfortunately, he never got around to telling her. So, we have to look through EVERYTHING to make sure there is no money anywhere. Either he used it all and forgot that he had, or he hid it better than we know how to search lol. We are hoping to be finished with everything by the 1st. Maybe after that, I will feel up to a book for entertainment.

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hehheh sattva that's a task we all can relate to I'll bet. My husband's grandpop died at age 94. He had obstinately refused to leave the house for over a decade by then (he had a 4-fam house w/ other family doing his errands-- paying their rent in cash). Everyone was surprised to find $40k in a closet shoebox!

My husband & I like to read mysteries on vacation. This year I ordered Jack Reacher #s 5&6 (we're doing them in chron sequence), #4 (The Lion) in Nelson Demille's John Corey series, 3 Scandinavian noirs, & #'s 3&4 in Richard Neer's Riley King series. Neer is a NJan & my husband's fave radio sports announcer (& before that his fave rock DJ). Rich enjoyed Neer's "FM: The Rise and Fall of Rock Radio". So we're supporting his new sideline as a mystery writer.

Posts: 2050 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Before the days of direct deposit, my mother-in-law lived with us and insisted we cash her SS checks even though she seldom left the house (she was id-eighties). When she died, my wife and her sister found rolls of bills everywhere in her belongings, stuffed into her many purses and items of clothing. After funeral expenses, nothing remained.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6004 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Same with my mother. After she died we found hundreds of pounds stashed in various places. Some of the nites were so old they were no longer legal tender and had to be exchanged at the Bank of England.

Posts: 7866 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
that is notes not nites - I am useless typing on a phone

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Currently reading Outlaws of th Marsh which is a very long Chinese classic similar in theme to Robin Hood. In translation of course. Review will follow when I have a keyboard and don't have to use a phonr

posted Hide Post
I finally just got around to listening to 1984. Talk about depressing! LOL

"Wishing in gladness and in safety, may all beings be at ease." ~from the Metta Sutta

posted Hide Post
I just finished listening to Me Before You. I liked it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
sattva, your post reminded me of something I've been meaning to mention here.

As most people here know I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and listen to many of the Audio productions from Big Finish. (There are considerably more than 1000 of them!)

They come, basically, in three varieties.

Readings of stories or novels.
Partly dramatised/partly narrated stories with limited casts.
Full cast audio dramas.

I listen to all three but I only really enjoy the full cast dramas. Some of the part narrations are also OK.

The problem I have with the readings is that when they are reading dialogue the readers have to either read it all in the same voice so that it becomes hard to follow or attempt different voices which always jar me completely out of the story.

I know you listen to a lot of audio books. Do you find a similar problem?

posted Hide Post
Yes, I sometimes do, Bob. In the Dalai Lama- Desmond Tutu book, it was especially difficult to follow who was speaking. There were three voices, but they weren't dissimilar enough for my ears.

One person who narrates many books is Lorelei King. She did most of the Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Then, one day, I was listening to a Debbie Macomber book that King was narrating, and I could "hear" the characters from the Stephanie Plum series. That was jarring. Just as in a book or movie it helps if characters don't look too similar, it helps in an audio book if voices are quite different.

Also, even though accents might seem appropriate in certain cases, if they are too strong, they become difficult for me to understand. Before I get an audio book through our digital library, I listen to a sample first. Some voices I realize at the beginning I won't be able to take for any length of time.

Unlike you, though, I don't usually like full cast dramas because they are too noisy, and therefore, distracting to me. I tried listening to one of Tolkien's books that was acted out and didn't enjoy it.

Lorelei King

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
With the full cast dramas I find it can be very variable and it depends not just on the actors but on other factors - chiefly on the writing and the music.

A good writer for audio productions can keep a good level of clarity but someone who is used to writing for TV or film will often clutter things up by having characters excessively describing their surroundings. But the best ones are really very good.

As for the music it needs to be far more deftly done for audio productions as the slightest misstep can swamp the whole thing. Fortunately for us Doctor Who fans there as some excellent writers at Big Finish so the good productions far outnumber the bad ones.

posted Hide Post
You make a good point about the music, Bob. I find some movies hard to watch because the background noise level and music overpower the dialogue.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:

As most people here know I'm a big fan of Doctor Who and listen to many of the Audio productions from Big Finish. (There are considerably more than 1000 of them!)

What are your favourites? I haven't listened to any in a while, but I really liked Stones of Venice, Spare Parts, Jubilee, and Excelis Dawns (my copy is signed by Anthony Head). I heard that Paul Magrs did some with Tom Baker and that sounds awesome.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I particularly like the way they handled the sixth doctor who was very badly served on TV. BF made him into a much stronger and more interesting character.
For individual stories with the sixth Doctor I'd say The Marian Conspiracy is very good. Doctor Who And The Pirates manages to tie a grim ending to a uniquely silly story. For other doctors it's hard to choose but amomg my favourites would be The Library of Alexandria (1st), any of the ones where Frazier Hines does his excellent impersonation of the Second Doctor (for example The Isos Network or The Black Hole). The Philip Hinchcliffe Presents Fourth Doctor stories are all great - very reminiscent of the TV series. The Auntie Matter is also a very silly and very funny PG Wodehouse pastiche. Fifth Doctor Contingency Club is great (He also has the single worst story in the whole range - Nekromanteia). It divides opinion but I like the Seventh Doctor story Flip-Flop. The SIlver Turk with eight. All twelve of the War Doctor stories with the magnificent John Hurt.
I could go on all day.
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I have a lot of catching up to do. If you like Jonathan Morris read Festival of Death and The Tomorrow Windows.

posted Hide Post
It seems that the Paul Magrs stories with Tom Baker are not Big Finish, they are published by the BBC.

Check out Paul Magrs's short stories - some of my favourite Doctor Who fiction.

In the Sixties
It's Raining Again
Entertaining Mr O

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

posted Hide Post
I finished this book recently, THE FORGETTING TIME.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am way behind on this thread. Great discussion! My friend's father just died, and she too found money all over the house. Very strange. It reminds me of when we got home and found our house robbed. They didn't get much (didn't find my jewelry and apparently were scared away just as they got to the silver), but they had apparently been looking all over for money - even under the mattresses.

Has anyone read "All the Light We Cannot See?" I am about to start it. I hope it is not too sad.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Has anyone read "All the Light We Cannot See?"

No, it's not visible here.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I am way behind on this thread. Great discussion! My friend's father just died, and she too found money all over the house. Very strange. It reminds me of when we got home and found our house robbed. They didn't get much (didn't find my jewelry and apparently were scared away just as they got to the silver), but they had apparently been looking all over for money - even under the mattresses.

Has anyone read "All the Light We Cannot See?" I am about to start it. I hope it is not too sad.

I was going to listen to this book along with your reading it. It is available where i get my audio books, but my library card has expired. I forgot that they make you renew every year now. I am not sure when I can get over to the library to renew. Maybe not for a week or so, unfortunately. Stupidly in my opinion, they don't let you renew online!

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Stupidly in my opinion, they don't let you renew online!

Why does it expire? It's not as if you become incapable of safely reading.

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
I don't know why it expires. At one time, it didn't. My best guess, is that it is a way of not overloading the system with people who know longer use the library or have died. I think I will ask that question when i renew it. I will let you know what they say.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I've had the same card for over forty years. The only times I had to get a new one was when they added a photo (which has been discontinued) ad when I wore out the magnetic strip.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have had my library card for some time, too, but Shu uses it (I suppose he lost his), and then his books are often overdue and I get the lecture when I go to check something out. <sigh>

We'll read it together, then, Sattva. I am expecting it to be sad, though. I have also just ordered Hillary's new book, "What Happened." That will be sad, too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I have had my library card for some time, too, but Shu uses it (I suppose he lost his), and then his books are often overdue and I get the lecture when I go to check something out. <sigh>

We'll read it together, then, Sattva. I am expecting it to be sad, though. I have also just ordered Hillary's new book, "What Happened." That will be sad, too!

Sounds good, Kalleh. The book got good reviews, and apparently many book clubs used it. As for being sad, sometimes i can use a good cry and I think I am overdue for one!

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have also just ordered Hillary's new book, "What Happened."

Should be "WTF Happened?"

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
This is why the librarian said they have us renew our cards. It is because they want our current address and phone number. I think this is crazy.

posted Hide Post
Some recent books I have listened to on audio.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls (I had actually listened to this previously and had forgotten that I had!)
Unbelievable by Katy Tur

posted Hide Post
After half a century I've finally begun A Confederacy of Dunces. Given the state of world affairs, it seems appropriate.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Geoff,

Posts: 4449 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post