Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Books for the holidays
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books for the holidays Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
It is that time of year again. What ideas do you have for gift books?

For your linguaphiles, this one comes highly recommended, but I've not read it:

Metaphors We Live By George Lakoff and Mark Johnson - I am told this is the best book available about metaphor as a thought process.

Then there is Harriet Reisen's Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women - here is a discussion about it. Shu bought it for me, and I plan to read it soon.

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
A friend has recommended "Buying into English: Language and Investment in the New Capitalist World" for our linguaphiles. Here is a link about it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, well this thread didn't take off, did it?

A friend sent me this recommendation , particularly for language lovers: "Ambrose Bierce's Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers." It certainly seems appropriate for some of our discussions.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Yes, often the threads we plant do not grow. Sad really. On the other hand, what a great book offering. I must order and read Jan Freeman's take on the god of bitchy nitpickology, Ambrose Bierce.

And my suggestion for anybody who wants to write well without being set upon by clueless editors or other self-appointed (and self-important) guardians of grammar is to get [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merriam_Webster's_Dictionary_of_English_Usage]Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage[/url]. It is available free online but it's quite cheap and handy to hit stubborn and peevish language mavens upside the head and just in time for the holidays.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My daughter gave me "Amelia Earhart: The Sound of Wings" by Mary Lovell for Hanukkah, so I am looking forward to reading it. I love biographies. I also received a Border's gift certificate, so I wish there'd be more answers here. Not sure I am up for Ambrose Bierce, though.