Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

e-books Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have an iPad and did my due diligence to try to like using e-book readers. However, I just can't like them. I feel like I'm working on my computer. I am still on a book I started weeks ago because I hate reading on it so.

Today this quote was in the Tribune:

"This is true, but so do your children, Prague and the Sistine Chapel." - Author Joe Queenana on aficionados of e-books who say physical books just take up space.

Amen!

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I know some celebrities give their kids weird names but that's going a bit far. Big Grin

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I quite like them. I haven't bought a new book for months, since I got my Kindle.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I'm with Arnie. For simple books containing only text and pictures the Kindle is grand. It falls down when it tries to show things - such as maps - which do need to be much larger than the size of a paperback to make sense.

But for simple reading they are grand. When | travel now I can have 1000 books in my cabin bag without paying a penny in excess baggage fees (even Ryanair can't charge me Wink)

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There will always be a place for 'coffee-table' books and specially bound editions, which can be works of art. However, an ordinary book doesn't need such things, and an ebook works as well as or better than hard copy books in simply conveying the written material. Being a bit of a penny-pincher I have invariably bought paperbacks whenever possible, waiting until one was released if necessary. Now, I'll get an ebook, which is generally cheaper even than the paperback and also has the great advantage of taking up no physical space.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I've also found e-readers are excellent for adjusting the legs on wobbly tables.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5998 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As you know, I've never been a fan.
Now I have empirical (if somewhat annecdotal) evidence.

I have always been a great reader. Until I came to China there probably wasn't a week of my life when I read less than two books. Here I thought it would be easy. I have a tablet. I have thousands of downloaded books. I have been here for a year and a half. I have yet to finish a single book. I simply don't enjhoy reading from a computer screen or a tablet.

I want paper and ink or I can't read.
Simple as.

Posts: 7863 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's quite obviously down to personal preference. I have no problem reading ebooks using my Kindle or my desktop computer. In this respect I'm with Richard, whereas Kalleh and Bob plainly dislike using them.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a tablet. I have thousands of downloaded books. I have been here for a year and a half. I have yet to finish a single book. I simply don't enjhoy reading from a computer screen or a tablet.

There are differences between readers. I have never used a tablet but the Kindle looks so much like normal paper and print that I have sometimes found myself touching the screen to turn the page, rather than pressing the "next page" button.

With some Kindles you can turn the page that way but I elected to go for the keyboard version - not least because it keeps the screen cleaner for longer.

The latest Kindle has a backlight, so it's possible to read even when there's little or no light. I have tried it but I'll hang on to my existing one for as long as it works.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Richard English

Posts: 8037 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I simply don't enjoy reading from a computer screen or a tablet.
That's how I feel. And, as for your comment Richard, I've read on both iPads and Kindles, so the particular apparatus is not the problems.

I agree, arnie, that's it's a matter of taste. I just love to touch the pages, keep track of where certain words and paragraphs are, make comments, etc. To me, it's a much more intimate experience. I agree, though, that the e-Readers are more convenient, particularly when you travel.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I agree, arnie, that's it's a matter of taste. I just love to touch the pages, keep track of where certain words and paragraphs are, make comments, etc. To me, it's a much more intimate experience. I agree, though, that the e-Readers are more convenient, particularly when you travel.

Apart from touching the pages I can do all those things on my Kindle. Furthermore, it automatically bookmarks every book when you stop reading it, and opens at the last page you were reading when you decide to return to it.

Of course, it doesn't have the musty smell of an old book - but I'd not be surprised to learn that some computer whizz-kid is working on that Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Richard English,

Richard English

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same, but there's an article on the Economist's Johnson blog about the change by dictionaries from print to online versions.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Also related, I loved this article in the Tribune. Papyrus is seeing some Schadenfreude in what paper is experiencing these days. Wink