Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Another book ban
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another book ban Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Eric Zorn writes about a novel, Persepolis, that has been banned in one Chicago school because of a teacher complaint. Here is the headline of a Paris-based literary publication: Censure de Persepolis: Inapproprié dans les écoles de Chicago. Not a great way to get into the international headlines! Frown

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This was my comment at Wahington Post' "The Answer Sheet" last week:

While I understand and appreciate the concern over presenting powerful images of torture to 7th graders, I find it shocking that a book can be ordered to be physically removed from classrooms in a major American city on the directive of any one individual. It is revealing that the libraries (thanks to their associations) have 1st Amendment protections, while the classrooms do not.

Although this situation reflects the curriculum people trying to correct an error, or thinking better of a decision and modifying it, it reveals the weakness of state-, or even city-mandated curriculum. It is unwieldy to make changes-- and there will be many to make in a one-size-fits-all curriculum. And it is obviously open to abuse.

Posts: 2050 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
A 12-year-old can't read a horror book but they can watch movies about the same subject on TV. An entire school board decides what to teach but one teacher can toss their approved selection? The incongruities of modern life are astounding.

Adults have to wear seat belts in autos but kids in buses don't. Kids have adults make sure they get on and off their buses safely, just to send them roaming unattended and unsupervised onto neighborhood streets (which is not wrong, just oddly skewed, IMO).

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6002 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
The incongruities of modern life are astounding.
I agree! When it comes to education "reform", it seems that Americans want to put fewer & fewer tax dollars into the system, while simultaneously demanding top-down micromanagement (which doesn't come cheaply).

Posts: 2050 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does this ban come from the so-called "left," or the so-called "right?" It seems both lunatic fringes actively participate in this activity.

Ils sont fous ces Américains!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4445 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Not sure, Geoff, but I always blame those on the "right," so it must be they! Wink

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post