Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Francophones: don't read this
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Francophones: don't read this Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
The French and British have a long and honorable history of mutually insulting each other. I actually laughed out loud (very rare for me) at the last paragraph of a review in my paper by Amanda Craig of the book French Children Don't Throw Food. The book's author is an an American married to an Englishman, who ended up in Paris. She was struck by the politeness of French kids, especially compared with the behaviour of American ones. The book goes on to describe the differences in upbringing, most of which to those of us of the older generation aren't differerences at all, as that's how we were raised anyway, but maybe not how the "modern generation" are raising their kids.

Paraphrasing, the reviewer said that the problem for those yearning to raise perfect French kids is that they grow up into French adults. Big Grin

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10927 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
C'est drôle! Big Grin

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4431 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. This is the same author I was talking about here. I have been thinking about it. The French, according to the author, seem to be good disciplinarians. This author thinks Americans are way too lenient and let their kids do whatever they want. What does she think about the English? My gut feeling is that they are seen as too formal with raising children, but I am not sure.

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Of course, this is where I read about this book. It's pretty funny. It's not so much that French parents are disciplinarians, as they are consistent in how they raise their children differently. Being around children here in the States can oftentimes be a painful event.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've not read the book itself, only a couple of reviews. In the review I first read the reviewer seemed a little peeved at the way the author lumped the American and British parents together as "Anglophones". Presumably, then, she saw little difference between the ways we raise our kids.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10927 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a French student passes to the next higher grade, does said student take an élèveator?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4431 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the author lumped the American and British parents together as "Anglophones"

Yes, I wondered about that, too. For the record, the author is an American and her husband is from the UK.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post