Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Really? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Has anyone read the work of Kenneth Goldsmith, described as a "conceptual poet" or "literary trickster?" His "Soliloquy" consists of every word he spoke for a week. "The Weather" contains a year's worth of weather bulletins from 1010 WINS, an all-news radio station. And "Day" is a transcript of every sentence printed in the NYT on September 1, 2000. The author refers to his work as "mimetic" and "uncreative." I can think of some who might say it's not art. Wink He recently became the first poet laureate appointed by the Museum of Modern Art.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the literary equivalent of the sound collages of John Oswald maybe.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lightweight to me.

This blog

http://sneezecount.joyfeed.com/

is an art project belonging to a mate of mine.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
OMG Bob your friend's website gave me the First Good Belly Laugh of the Day. FYI, yesterday's occurred during the opening 10 mins of "Dark Shadows", an HBO spoof starring Johnny Depp. I believe I need to organize and report such data in a website of my own. Shall I call it FGBLD.com? Or perhaps simply guffawcount.com...

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I would 'count' the site as art. It makes a great statement on the digital age!

I made an immediate association with an arty, B&W TV film I saw in the early '80's, when limos had been equipped with cell phones for a decade, but the concept of widespread mobile hand-devices was not in the public mind. In the play, everybody had one. The spectacle of a NYC lunchtime crowd yakking into phones as they pushed their way down the sidewalks was disconcerting. Meanwhile we see our hero answering his device from his subway ride: 'yeah, Mom (munch, munch) hi. Um-hm. Yeah, I'm eating a tunafish sandwich'-- which struck me as hilarious then, & how true it turned out to be.

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Last night on ESPN's Friday Night Fights, the winner of one bout, waiting in his corner for the announcer to certify the win, had his gloves removed and immediately grabbed a cell phone (whether he called or someone else couldn't wait to congratulate him is not available) and strode the ring, gabbing away. I've lost count of the number of husbands I've seen in the market perusing the shelves while receiving orders from wives directing them to specific items. Apparently no one writes out lists on paper any more.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
Sounds like the literary equivalent of the sound collages of John Oswald maybe.

I just listened to some of that - it's weirdly compelling!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, I forgot about your friend who recorded every sneeze. That is so funny!

Are these types of writings formally named? Is it called conceptual poetry?

Where were you able to listen to goofy's site? I found the font very small to concentrate on and read. The website was interesting. It took me awhile to figure out how to click something.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I don't know that I'd call Pete's site conceptual poetry though it's certainly - in my opinion - conceptual art.

posted Hide Post
Here's some John Oswald: Grayfolded, sampling 100 performances of The Grateful Dead's Dark Star. Here's another: O'Hell