Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Stiegg Larsson Trilogy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stiegg Larsson Trilogy Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have just finished the third book of the Larsson's trilogy, and I'd love to have a discussion here with those of you who have read them. If you aren't interested in the books, sorry. This thread isn't for you. If you are planning to read them or are reading them now, please don't go on. Otherwise I will ruin them for you, which of course I don't want to do! So...beware before reading on.

Posts: 23298 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The books were addictive for me, and I enjoyed every minute of each of them. I believe I preferred the second book, but they were all wonderful. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) Did you want Salander and Blomkvist to get together? I so much did and was disappointed by the ending of the third book. While I liked Figuerola, I had pulled for Salander to get together with Blomkvist. I liked Berger, too, though.

2) Do you think Niedermann was schizophrenic? Teleborian wrongly diagnosed Salander with that, but I was sure Niedermann was.

3) Didn't you find it totally implausible that Salander would get away with stealing more than $1 billion? Perhaps the next books were going to go into that. I hated that part about the books, as I liked Salander and didn't want to think of her as a crook.

4) Did you predict that Harriet Vanger was alive? I did, but I was surprised when it came up in the book.

5) Did you think that Stiegg Larsson and his live-in girlfriend (partner?) were the Blomkvist and Berger in the book? I sure did. Having read a little about his background, I think some of what he had to say was a part of his life, not quite so dramatically of course!

That's it for now. I'd love some discussion with other Larsson aficionados.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I read the first and found Salander to be totally unbelievable. She was way over the top and as much a psychopath as the two killers.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 6000 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Therein we disagree. I found her honest (well, most of the time!) and refreshing. Think about her horrible background.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I, too, was totally addicted to these books once I started them. I downloaded the first into my iPad on a Tuesday and had finished it by Thursday. Instead of turning the iPad off and going to bed (it was past midnight), I downloaded the second and third books on the spot and started right in. I had finished Fire by Saturday, and if I hadn't had to go into the hospital for a knee operation at 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday, I would have finished Hornet's Nest by 1 or 2 a.m. that day. As it was, I had to finish the last 40 pages of HN in the hospital, bit by bit, under the influence of drugs over three days.

BTW, I absolutely love reading on the iPad even better than I do on the Kindle. Proof--you will be interested in this, because not only can you increase the font size, but also, it is backlit, so you can read in the dark or dim lighting conditions, and also mess around with the brightness and contrast, type and background colors. I absolutely prefer reading on the iPad to reading the printed page or the Kindle page. Too bad that it's a waste of a Kindle. Perhaps I can resell the thing.

Back to the Larsson books, Kalleh, I thought Blomkvist's assessment of Salander as autistic was probably accurate. I was satisfied with the ending because I didn't think she was really right for Blomkvist. Salander was a wounded, damaged personality, probably incapable of a normal relationship, and both of them had such a casual attitude towards sex, one that seems more in tune with older adolescents than supposedly mature adults, that I don't think it boded well for anything more long-term or permanent. I saw Salandar as a sort of idiot savant who, though she probably shouldn't have been in such a restrictive guardianship situation through the three books, needed to find someone who would take better care of her than a Blomkvist, who probably over the long haul would have dropped her completely. I liked that they seem to have ended up as friends. That was OK with me.

Yes Niedermann was definitely whacko, whatever the technical definition you want to put on it. I actually loved it that Salander got away with grand theft on a huge scale, since the bad guy she stole from deserved it, though if it were real life, yes, she should go to jail for this and also make restitution. But since it is fiction, we don't need to worry that what she did was wrong! Possibly I should feel the same way about Blomkvist's casual attitude towards relationships, since it is fiction--but I don't.

No, I did not predict that Harriet Vanger was alive, so that was a nice surprise, nor did I predict the details of why she chose to disappear herself--all very grim. I understand the films are true to the books, and not sure I want to see those parts. Among my favorite grim parts of the total trilogy, though, was the very creative tattoo Salander inflicted upon her guardian's abdomen!

For me these books were not only a great escape but also a great tribute to strong women and their ability to prevail where others miss the boat, or the point. Not sure about whether these characters mirror Larsson and his live-in partner. I'm just very sad he's gone and that there are no more books, except for a possible 4th manuscript found among his things.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I finished the first book but hesitate to start on the next one. My wife asked about "Tattoo" and I told her it took a long time to get into the story. She began it but tossed it after fifty pages.

I understand the book is being filmed now in Hollywood, even though it has already been successfully made in Europe. I don't understand why they can't take the foreign version (f it's not in English)and dub it if necessary instead of trying to remake it for the American audience. That never works. You know it will all build to the chase and crash scene with "Fast and Furious" CGI effects totally out of scale with the rest of the movie.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought Blomkvist's assessment of Salander as autistic was probably accurate.
Yes, autistic came up, but I think it is more probable that she had Asperger's. People with that can be quite functional, and I think she would have become so. After all, so much happened in her background. But whatever. I could also understand Blomkvist not going for her, I suppose. I thought it was pretty clear, though, that Salander wasn't a psychopath.

I, too, enjoyed the tattoo scene!

It drove my daughter crazy that they only talked about an iBook because she hates Apple.

Agreed that I, too, am sad about Larsson's untimely death. I heard he had outlined 10 books, and the fourth one, albeit not fleshed out completely, is in some "iBook." Let's have it!

Proof, I'd read all three were I you! WM, which of the three did you prefer? I think I liked the second one best.

BTW, I thought the way the court case was handled was interesting, and I wonder how true to life that is (for Sweden). It surely wouldn't happen here where the judge or lawyers would ask questions of each other or of people sitting in the audience, but maybe that's how they do things in Sweden.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
It drove my daughter crazy that they only talked about an iBook because she hates Apple.

Agreed that I, too, am sad about Larsson's untimely death. I heard he had outlined 10 books, and the fourth one, albeit not fleshed out completely, is in some "iBook." Let's have it!

Where did you hear about this? There are several different formats for electronic books. Currently there are no Stieg Larsson books in Apple's store. If the fourth book is going to be published electronically, Apple might have nothing to do with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agreed that I, too, am sad about Larsson's untimely death.

When would it have been "timely"?

Nollidj is power.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
quote:

Where did you hear about this? There are several different formats for electronic books. Currently there are no Stieg Larsson books in Apple's store. If the fourth book is going to be published electronically, Apple might have nothing to do with it.

Goofy, she's referring to the fact that in the trilogy, the two main characters, Blomkvist and Salander, both use Apple laptops--you know, the old, original, 10GB laptop, the iBook. Now iBooks is an app for iPhone and iPad. I have read books in both the iBook app and the Kindle app for iPad on my iPad. We used to have an iBook laptop around here someplace, but it's now a doorstop, or worse than that, missing shelf clutter...

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
One nice thing about buying a dead tree copy is it never crashes.

Nollidj is power.

posted Hide Post
Oh wow, so I completely misunderstood Red Face

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, WM, that is what I meant.

I was surprised that proof didn't care much for the first book, but then neither did my youngest daughter. She isn't sure if she'll read the other two or not. Yet, my oldest daughter devoured them like I did.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, WM, that is what I meant.

I was surprised that proof didn't care much for the first book, but then neither did my youngest daughter. She isn't sure if she'll read the other two or not. Yet, my oldest daughter devoured them like I did.

Kalleh, I think Asperger's is a type of autism, and that is the kind of autism the Salander character seemed to have. She was high-functioning, but socially disconnected. As for my favorite of the three books, I would have to say that it was the second book for me also. But without "Tattoo," there would be no "Played With Fire." And "Hornet's Nest" was really just an extension of "Fire." So, I like to think of them all as one gigantic book.

There's no accounting for taste and preference, but I've heard very few people make anything but extremely positive comments about these novels. Of course, I haven't been looking for naysayers either. And now I'm on a "Swedish Thriller" email list from Amazon.com. Who knew there were so many Swedish thriller writers?

Wordmatic

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I'm a Swedish writer but no one seems particularly thrilled at what I have to say.

Nollidj is power.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a relationship between autism and Asperger's, and, yes, Asperger's is more high functioning. While Rainman was a movie, it was quite realistic about what autism is like in adults. With Asperger's people can keep a job, but there are relationship problems, as was the case with Salander.

I, too, saw them as one gigantic book! I just hope the fourth one gets printed!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Chiming in late here--

had great fun with this trilogy. Tatoo had a bit of trouble getting the plot synched up with the character development or something; I tell people to give it 100 pp. to really pick up steam. I "read" the 2 remaaining books by ear, having ordered the [fabulous] audio books from the UK. The narrator a Swedish actor with fluent British English gave a fine rendition (understated, just as I imagine Larsson would have liked) & I enjoyed hearing all the Swedish names & place-names pronounced. These may have been abridged-- I was in a hurry, needed my Larsson fix! so I expect I'll read the actual books when I get hungry again...

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
Here is a review I find I for the most part agree with.

Esopecially "This is easily one of the worst books I’ve ever read. And bear in mind that I’ve read John Grisham."

Nollidj is power.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
tsk tsk. I bet you hate Six Feet Under, & Dexter as well.... Wink

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post