Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    What are you not reading?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you not reading? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
There was an interesting article in the Chicago Tribune today about books that people decidedly don't read. I am searching for the exact list and will posts it tomorrow when I find it.

But I wondered, have you decided not to read certain books? I particularly find Dostoyevsky tedious.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Finnegans Wake by James Joyce, anything by Dan Brown.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I think it's a weird not to read "For Whom the Bell Tolls" because you think it sounds too macho or something, give me a break. Seems like a journalistic writer would want to see how it's done. And skipping Franzen because you don't like how he came across on Oprah? Proud to say I read Corrections and Freedom without finding it necessary to bone up on gossip first. (I wonder, would she permit me to swap Millett's "Sexual Politics" for Friedan's Mystique?) The lady seems glibly political & not very curious.

OK, I'll admit to never having finished anything by Faulkner. But I dearly love the first 1/3 of "Absalom, Absalom"... Also very familiar with the first 40pp or so of "Moby Dick"... & the 1st 10 of Joyce's Ulysses... And I still haven't done the obligatory Mailer novel. Faerie Queene, anyone?

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree, Bethree. I found the whole idea of deciding not to read a book odd. Yet, I suppose we can't read every book so we do make those sorts of decisions - but, maybe not that proactively.

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post