Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Books of the year
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Books of the year Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here are the WSJ's best non-fiction books of the year. Many of them sound wonderful, though my top favorite would be: "The Guns at Last Light: The War in Western Europe, 1944."

I usually love fiction, but none of their fiction books of the year intrigued me. Have you read any of them?

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I have to admit I haven't read one of those fiction titles! & am not familiar w/the nonfiction titles either, but I'm not much of a nonfiction reader. But I have never looked at WSJ lists-- not a fan of their editorial slant, so haven't followed their book choices. I usually target fiction reads (i.e. when they'll come out in ppbk Wink from international lists such as Man Booker. Our current read in book club is Mario Vargas-Llosa's 'Conversations in the Cathedral'. He is the 2010 Nobel Lit winner & currently a visiting prof at Princeton; I (a Sp Lit minor) & an ESL member twisted arms to get the group to read his major work (we 2 are reading it in Spanish). So far it is great & I highly recommend it. Check out this book for a look at what's been going on in Lat Amer for 40 yrs & soon coming to the US!

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree about the editorial slant of the WSJ, though I find other articles quite well researched and good. However, my favorite source for good books is the NYTs.

I will check out your book Bethree!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Not one of the books on either list sounds like anything I'd want to read.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've often found that I am surprised about books, Bob. If someone I respect recommends a book, even if I don't think I'd want to read it, I'll try it - and often I like it a lot.

Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
I recommend The Rationale of the Dirty Joke by Gershon Legmon, an erudite investigation of the genre. The question is, will you attempt to get a copy based on my recommendation?

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I would, Proof!

I am reading "Five Days at Memorial," by Sheri Fink. It's about Memorial Hospital during Katrina and how they saved, or didn't save, patients. It was highly recommended by my work colleagues, and it convinced them to be critical of the staff at Memorial during Katrina. I am not reading it that way at all. In fact, I disagree with this Pulitzer Prize winning author that the staff was so negligent in their care. I think the author needs to realize that it's much easier to look back and make judgments. I can't imagine being stuck in a hospital, in horrible conditions, worrying about my own family and home, having no sleep and little food and then making the perfect decisions about the patients. It's so interesting how people have such different perspectives.