Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Holiday books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday books Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Hanukkah is really early this year - the first night is the Wednesday before Thanksgiving! I am looking for good books for Hanukkah or Christmas. Does anyone have some good suggestions?

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well - I guess not.

One book I am going to buy is the one goofy recommended, "Shady Charactors" by Keith Houston.

I have finished "The Book Thief," and it is excellent. It reminds me a bit of one of my favorite books, "The Sound and the Fury," by Faulkner.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My recommendation is "any book that is written in English".
Of course I'm only saying that because they are so hard to come by where I live.

Posts: 7859 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, Bob, that's terrible! Email me your address and I'll send you one.

A couple of others I have read about that might be good are:

"David and Goliath," Malcolm Gladwell's newest book., which looks at the underdogs. Now, as you can see by the review, it needs to be read critically. Yet, I've heard good things about it.

"The Boys in the Boat," by Daniel James Brown, which is a book about the U.S. rowing team that stunned the world and won the Gold in the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

For Americans "Reflections on Judging" by Richard Posner. Posner is a brilliant judge and law school professor whose opinions have been very thought-provoking. It's perfect for my daughter because he teaches at the law school from which she graduated.

"The Paris Wife: A Novel," by Paual McLain, is a story about the wife of Ernest Hemmingway. As you can read in the NY Times review, they pretty much panned it, but I've heard good things about it. I'll read it and let you know.

And of course, as mentioned before, "The Book Thief."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, and I forgot about the book that Goofy recommended, "Shady Characters," by Keith Houston. I've ordered it.