Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    A field of Schadenfreude studies?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A field of Schadenfreude studies? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Two books on the word Schadenfreude ?
quote:
The philosophical and literary dimensions of schadenfreude were explored masterfully in John Portmann's "When Bad Things Happen to Other People" (1999). Now the psychologist Richard H. Smith brings science to the subject, in "The Joy of Pain," a useful if somewhat flabby contribution to what may be a burgeoning field of schadenfreude studies.
I wonder if they talk about the use of the concept in other languages, such as Greek. Wink

Posts: 23277 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently read a book, Murder on Theatre Row by Michael Jahn. One of the murder suspects is an alcoholic rock music critic named Lucien Schadenfreud. He first appears on page 5 of the book and page 11 of the Kindle edition.

Posts: 2767 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is hilarious, and gives me an idea. I am going to write a book about Edna Epicaric. I just have to think of a plot.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just have to think of a plot.

Is that all? Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10925 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Oo oo-- just heard the 's' word on Jeopardy the other night. The question went something like this: "An inadvertent revelation causing others to enjoy your embarrassment"

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's a great definition! Yes, Schadenfreude is definitely experiencing a comeback.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Schadenfreude is definitely experiencing a comeback.

I was unaware that it had left us.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, perhaps "comeback" wasn't correct...

Increased popularity?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I think rather that civility and politeness are moribund.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I wouldn't be quite that cynical.

What is that program of word trends? I'd like to put Schadenfreude into that program to see if I am right. Heck, maybe I'll even try epicaricacy.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"You say cynical; I say pragmatic. Let's call the whole thing off."

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Schadenfreude is definitely experiencing a comeback.
It's used twice in the book I'm almost finished with. No epicacaphony, or whatever, however. Roll Eyes

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 4430 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I recognised that I was experiencing Schadenfreude this morning in the street. A young man, wearing a sharp suit, baseball cap and sunglasses (on a cloudy day) was leaning nonchalantly against a bus stop, chewing gum. He was obviously working hard at being a really 'cool dude'.

Then he blew a big bubble of gum and it splattered across his face. Instant loss of coolness. Cool

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10925 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A perfect comedy routine!

Posts: 4430 | Location: In a cornfield in central IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was experiencing Schadenfreude this morning in the street.
And of course yours truly would call it something else. Wink