Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WoBoGro    Summer reading?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Summer reading? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
So, you are lying on the sand at the beach, relaxing under a big umbrella, reading a fantastic book. What is it?

Posts: 23290 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay then...nothing, I guess.

Well, I recommend Phil Jackson's new book "Eleven Rings". I know. I know. Phil Jackson, for those who don't know him, is a basketball coach and most here hate sports. However, this is a good read about leadership and how to create an integrative team, no matter what you do.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here are some suggestions from a great little independent bookstore we found in Edinburgh, the Looking Glass:

A Tale for the Time Being
~ Ruth Ozeki
(Canongate)

Behind the Beautiful Forevers
~ Katherine Book
(Portobello Books)

Bring up the Bodies
~ Hilary Mantel
(HarperCollins)

Capital
~ John Lancaster
(Faber)

Flight Behaviour
~ Barbara Kingsolver
(Faber)

HHhH
~ Laurent Binet
(Vintage)

The Etymologicon
~ Mark Forsyth
(Icon Books)

This one clearly is word related. Here is their review: "What links church organs to organised crime, California to the Caliphate, or brackets to codpieces? Mark Forsyth explains all in his Sunday Times #1 bestselling debut, the Etymologicon - a satirical, witty and unerringly erudite guided tour of the secret labyrinth that lurks behind the English language."

The Song of Achilles
~ Madeline Miller
(Bloomsbury)

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
~ Rachel Joyce
(Black Swan)

Walking Home
~ Simon Armitage
(Faber)

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ah, I so long for the days when I could browse in a bookshop and be able to examine each and every book until I chose one from the tens of thousands.
Or walk in armed with no more than an ISBN and as title and order a book safe in the knowledge that I'd have the book in my hand in a few days.

Now I can browse to my hearts content but only if my heart is content with books that my brain is unable to read and even if I could order (which I can't) the publishers will rarely ship to China and even if they did the possibilities of actually receiving the tome before I am too old and broken down to read it are slim indeed.

Posts: 7861 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I have The Etymologicon and its sequel The Horologicon on my Kindle but haven't got around to reading them yet.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Proofreader
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know. Phil Jackson, for those who don't know him, is a basketball coach and most here hate sports. However, this is a good read about leadership

This is an interesting take on leadership.

Give a man a fish and he can eat for one day; give a man a fishing pole and he will find an excuse to never work again.
Nollidj is power.

Posts: 5994 | Location: Rhode IslandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny, Proof. I was thinking the same thing recently about the many books - and theories - on leadership. No wonder we have such a lack of worldwide leadership!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Hi there, chiming in late on summer reading. Usually I only have time for my book-club books.

Most notable selections from the past few months include "A Long Long Way" by Sebastian Barry (WWI from a young Irish recruit's POV), "Out Stealing Horses" by Per Petterson (conditions in retirement cause a 70-y.o. Norwegian to reflect on his eventful summer of 1948, & clarify family issues dating to the Nazi occupation), & "The Pumpkin-Eater" by Penelope Mortimer (seminal '50's pre-feminist novel-cum-memoir which was made into classic arty film starring Anne Bancroft & Peter Fich).

I stole a couple of weeks to read Christopher Castellani's trilogy depicting the Italo-American immigrant saga, "A Gift from Maddalena", "The Saint of Lost Things", & "All This Talk of Love." If you must choose one-- although the last is the best-written-- I recommend the first for its keyhole-view into the desperate life of Italians whose small village is located on the path taken through the Appenines by the Panzers.

Right now in book club we are reading "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson. It's a non-fiction, page-turning account of the four years (1934-1937) of U.S. Ambassador Dodd & family's time in Germany. A must-read.

... I should mention we also have read Julian Barnes' Man-Booker-award-winning "The Sense of an Ending". For those of you who 'get' Julian Barnes...

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those, Bethree. I loved "In the Garden of Beasts."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
David Rakoff's "Love, Dishonor, Marry, Die, Cherish, Perish" sounds intriguing. Using anapestic tetrameter, Rakoff has written a 113-page, narrative poem about life. I haven't read it, but I think I will. Here is an excerpt, which was published in the NY Times article that I linked to above:

Related to the AIDS epidemic:
A permeable world where each friend is a trick,
Can feel like it’s crumbling when just one gets sick.
Add one more for two, and that queasy sensation
Can feel like a threat to one’s very foundation.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Shu and I saw " The Liar " (Pierre Corneille) tonight, and because it was all done in iambic pentameter, it reminded me of the above post. It was excellent!

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Wow those Ives adaptations look very cool indeed. Corneille [& Racine] & Molière were among my favorite reads as a French Lit major, nice to see them dusted up for a modern American audience.

Next in my summer-reading hit parade was "Midnight in Peking" by Paul French. I was loath to leave the '30's after the non-fiction page-turner above("In the Garden of Beasts"), so jumped over to this 'true-crime' yarn set in 1937 Peking. A seminal moment in Chinese history so picked up loads of info (much appreciated as I'm poorly educated on the subject). And it's eerily similar: the professorial, socially inept retired diplomat dad & his rogue daughter. The author admirably persevered in his research beyond the known 'unsolved crime' documents & unearthed a bunch more, never-published material developed by the dad, who continued the investigation on his own. The time/ place/ setting is thoroughly fleshed out & fascinating.

Posts: 2049 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Liar (Pierre Corneille) tonight, and because it was all done in iambic pentameter

That's interesting. Corneille wrote his plays in rhyming alexandrine verse.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard of alexandrine verse, but looked it up online. I found an interesting article about it - interesting because they are requesting improvements for the article. I hadn't seen that before on Wikipedia. The Corneille Wikipedia site has a similar note.

The Wikipedia article did say that Corneille's work was typically composed of rhyming alexandrine couplets. The play we saw was clearly an adaptation with many present day references. So I am not surprised that they changed the verse.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere but do not remember where that alexandrines are rare in English.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5085 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Clive James has just published a translation of Dante's Divine Comedy and he's changed it from the original Italian rhyme scheme terza rima to quatrains because it's a "more native" scheme in English.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10930 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post