Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Foreign Language Syndrome
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Foreign Language Syndrome Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Has anyone heard of the foreign language syndrome? I heard about it today on Car Talk, where a woman had a car accident and then had a French accent. Here's another story. I just can't imagine how that could happen when the person hadn't even been to the country where the accent is from.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've heard of it described rather more accurately as Foreign Accent Syndrome - sufferers don't suddenly learn a new language, they just speak with what sounds like a different accent. See Wikipedia.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm with Victor Mair on this one. I think it's something that non-speakers of the language whose accent is in question perceive. At university I watched an ethnographic film of Pentecostals speaking in tongues (sounded like gibberish tome, and mainly used a subset of the English phonemic inventory) and handling snakes.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It does seem like an far-fetched syndrome, so I agree that Mair is probably right.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post