Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hamburger/hot dog Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Have you ever heard the terms hamburger/hot dog used for describing vertical or horizontal? I have not. At a conference, a millennial said perhaps the "older people" there didn't get it, but she described a paper on the table as being placed in either the hamburger or hot dog position. Seems strange to me.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Sounds like someone trying, and failing, to be clever.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've yet to see a hot dog standing vertically without assistance. A failed metaphor.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Perhaps the paper was inside a bun.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
hamburger or hot dog position

I don't understand it. Did she explain what she meant?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I think it's reasonably clear that she's using them as an alternative to portrait and landscape for paper orientation but it's a bit willfully obscure and probably her own idiosyncrasy. As I said - trying to be clever.

posted Hide Post
Reasonably clear and willfully obscure, huh?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.

posted Hide Post
Landscape and portrait don't seem foolishly consistent whereas hamburger and hot dog seem obscure to my little mind.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's what she meant. I haven't been able to find it anywhere, but she indicated that all millennials know this. Most of us were well beyond the millennial age group, but we just took it for gospel. Maybe she made the whole thing up. Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
"... we just took it for gospel. Maybe she made the whole thing up. Wink

IMHO "Gospel" is made up, so there you have it. Big Grin

<Proofreader>
posted
Why would someone substitute incomprehensible terms for accepted ones?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are pretty comprehensible, aren't they? The conference had the likes of Harvard and Stanford professors, and they were all scratching their heads at that explanation. However, our little millennial thought it a no-brainer. I don't get it.

posted Hide Post
A hotdog is thin and tall (vertical) while the and a hamburger is short and wide (horizontal).

Okay, now I get it. When did this terminology start and why? As Proof said, "Why would someone substitute incomprehensible terms for accepted ones?"

This seems to have started with paper-folding in kindergarten or perhaps even preschool.
The oldest use I've found is on page 78 in a 1991 children's book, Penguins, by Lola Willrich: "Fold one sheet lengthwise (hot dog fold) and one width-wise (hamburger fold)." These are part of the instructions for making a four-pocket folder.

Hot dog and hamburger are probably easier for a kindergartener to learn than vertical and horizontal (and portrait and landscape). So while they may be incomprehensible to us old folks, they aren't to younger people.

Look up hot dog fold or hot dog book and you'll find lots of information. Angela Baker explains it as simply as possible. Susan Gaylord shows how to make a six-page booklet out of one piece of paper, using only a pair of scissors: Hot Dog Booklet - YouTube. If you watch this video, you'll find out who Margaret Knight was.

By the way, there is a different king of hotdog fold found originally in Escherichia coli: The Hotdog fold: wrapping up a superfamily of thioesterases and dehydratases.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You found something about it, Tinman! I looked in slang dictionaries and found nothing. I agree that the Baker explanation is good.

posted Hide Post
This reminds me of when my kids were in elementary school in the '70s and were learning to add and subtract. There was a concept called "regrouping" that was new to me and I had no idea what it was. I don't remember how long it was before I figured out that "regrouping" is what I learned as "borrowing." Same thing, different name.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And I bet the teachers saw it as a an innovative teaching method. Roll Eyes