Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alive or dead? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
During discussion about fossils, a lecturersaid "Fossils live in rocky strata..." and later, "These rocks live in shale deposits..."

How can an inanimate object "live" anywhere? Shouldn't "live" be limited to beings having at least a minimum vital force?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with this. I say things (and you probably do too!) like "The scissors live in the drawer." or "Don't leave your pencils all over the table, they live in the box."

A secondary use of "live" - in British English anyway - is to be usually kept or found in a particular place.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Beowulf:
Hi..forleton eorla gestreon eorðan healdan, gold on greote, þær hit nu gen lifað eldum swa unnyt swa hyt [æro]r wæs.

"They... let the ground hold the treasure of earls, gold in the earth, where ever it lives useless to men as of yore it was."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Great quote, Goofy. I don't hear "live" used like that. I wonder if this use is a regional difference.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I've checked two or three dics and can't find this usage. Can antuone cite it?

posted Hide Post

<Proofreader>
posted
How am I supposed to remember something so long in the past. It's only noon and I can't recall if I had breakfast.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
I've checked two or three dics and can't find this usage. Can antuone cite it?

It's right there on the front page of a onelook search

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I know I am not timely in answering this, but first of all, I don't think in the U.S. we use "live" that way. Second of all, it wasn't clear at all to me that it was on the first page of Onelook. I went through all their verb definitions, and you had to push the envelope a little for that one, unless of course I missed something.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post