Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

to "wrong-foot" Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Form an interview with Daniel Radcliffe, almost 18, the actor who plays Harry Potter in the movies and is well-reviewed for his current starring stage-performance in Equus:
    "My ethic is to wrong-foot people," the young prince of players says, recalling a recent interview with a reporter who must have expected someone not too bright. To wrong-foot people? To catch them off-guard? "Yes," he nods, "absolutely. People talk about all the child actors who went off the rails. Why don't they talk about [those] who grew up and just keep doing fantastic work?"
I'd never heard of the term. Is it just me, or is this one of those terms that's familiar on one side of the pond but unknown on the other?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's in the COED online.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's very common here. It's a sporting metaphor from soccer. It refers to taking the ball the opposite way to the way the defender expects, leaving him off balance and on the "wrong foot" to do anything about it.

How about the expression "sold him a dummy" which has a similar meaning and a similar origin? Is that used in the US?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"sold him a dummy"

Like wrong-foot, I've not heard this one before. I have heard of first-foot as a noun.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
[first-foot.

With what meaning?

Here "first-footing" is the tradition of the first to enter you house after midnight at the New Year bringing good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's a similar expression, "to catch someone on the back foot", which means they are unready for something, not expecting to have to react swiftly.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
With what meaning?

Yes, first person to enter your house in the New Year. It's a British term, not a US one as far as I know.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.