New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Malware" (word spotted) Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Word spotted:

Computer viruses and the like have long been far more common on Windows computers than on Apples, simply because those who write them target the bigger market share. But now two Mac worms have surfaced and, reports the Wall Street Journal, they "tripped alarm bells …. because they were part of a very small handful of malicious Mac programs, known in the tech world as malware."

New word to me. By the way, can anyone explain to me the differences between a virus, a worm, and a trojan?

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
By the way, can anyone explain to me the differences between a virus, a worm, and a trojan?

A trojan is what you wear on your worm so you don't get a virus. I thought everyone knew that.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Tinman, it's amazing how much we think alike! Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Scary, too.

Tinman

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hilarious, Tinman! Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by tinman:
Scary, too.

Tinman

Only if the Trojan breaks. Eek

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I'd really love a technical answer to the question Shu asked. What is the difference between those 3? (Note, I didn't repeat them. Wink)

posted Hide Post
malware
Last modified: Friday, March 11, 2005

(mal´wãr) (n.) Short for malicious software, software designed specifically to damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus or a Trojan horse.

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=virus

This explains it better than I could. To summarize, a virus is something which infects your computer. A Trojan is a virus which infects another program, and when you launch that program, the virus gets launched as well. A worm is a like a virus, but it can copy itself onto other computers.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Sean. That's a great, succinct, explanation. Is a worm the worst of the three?

posted Hide Post
Hmm ... for some reason, I just thought of the phrase, "the early bird gets the worm."

Tinman

posted Hide Post
Typically a worm is the worst, as it infects other machines, while a virus only hurts one. The terms tend to be used interchangeably though, with virus the generic term for all malicious computer programs.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sean: Thank hou for that def. With your permission I intend to incorporate it in my upcoming Dictionary of Neologisms