Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    Digital relationship words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Digital relationship words Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read about two words today that are apparently used on online dating sites. One is ghosting, which means an unexplained withdrawal from contact. The other is breadcrumbing, which means throwing down "breadcrumbs" of interest, without ever taking it further.

Are there others that you've heard?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dumping and teasing are the terms I'd use, but it seems each generation invents its own terms.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure it's generational, as much as referring to online relationships. 80-year-olds can have them too.

<Proofreader>
posted
I've hears another use of ghosting. That's what idiots do when they climb outside the car while it's moving and they are the driver. Applies to motorcycles where you climb on the back and let the bike steer itself. Not as dangerous as it sounds since the vehicle always stops whe it hits a pole.

Speaking of vehicles, why do Southerners always say "ve-HICK-al'?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I think that's 'VEE...HICKle.
Those Southerners just love to linger over the syllables. Must be something to do with the hot weather.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My South Carolina relatives call pecans "PEE-cans." I still do too. I think it sounds less pretentious than "P'CAHNZ." When they call 'em a snooty name they charge more.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
My South Carolina relatives call pecans "PEE-cans."

So do I. Although they're not common here, I've never heard anyone pronounce them any other way.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arnie, the next time we are together, let's have some p'CAHNZ. That's the way I say it.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
My South Carolina relatives call pecans "PEE-cans."

So do I. Although they're not common here, I've never heard anyone pronounce them any other way.

Me too

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The closest we get to pecans is peanuts.

posted Hide Post
I don't remember ever hearing the "PEE-cans" pronunciation until I was 19 and went to Missouri. My dad was from Kansas and my mother was from Louisiana and I don't remember them ever pronouncing it other than \pi-ˈkän\, as M-W does. "PEE-cans," to me, are something entirely different. This site says "that pee-KAHN is dominant nationwide, but in areas of Texas, Oklahoma, Louisiana and Mississippi, pick-AHN reigns supreme. PEE-can is popular on the East Coast and in New England, while folks from Wisconsin, northern Minnesota and Michigan’s Upper Peninsula go with PEE-kahn."

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In the area of Wisconsin where I was raised (south central), it was p'CAHNZ. I tend to think, with all the mobility these days, those regionalisms aren't quite as regional anymore as they used to be. The linguists will probably kill me for saying that! Wink

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I think I will take up the "p'CAHNZ" pronunciation. Have always thought PEE-CANS -- especially as pronounced in upstate NY w/that horrible flat nyah-nyah "A" vowel-- sounded like something to take a whiz in.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Have always thought PEE-CANS -...sounded like something to take a whiz in.
No, that's a PEE-cup. Chebby makes them.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Have always thought PEE-CANS -...sounded like something to take a whiz in.
No, that's a PEE-cup

Then what's a pee-pod?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:

Then what's a pee-pod?
That's what a PEE-vish PEE-nut lives in. PEE-culiar, ain't it? And a flower-based diuretic is a PEE-on-ease.

<Proofreader>
posted
Is it necessary to dry a peon?

Is a teepee an Indian outhouse?

I've often wondered how thick the output is in Mashpee, MA.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
Is it necessary to dry a peon?

I don't know if they still do it, but US Border Patrol officers used to ask, "¿Estas mojado?" to arrested people. Literally, it means, "Are you wet," the implication being that they've waded across the Rio Grande. So, yes, sometimes one does have to dry a peon.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is probably a very inappropriate question - but, is that where the pejorative term for Mexicans comes from?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
This is probably a very inappropriate question - but, is that where the pejorative term for Mexicans comes from?

I've always assumed so. Oxford Dictionaries confirms it, although I'm slightly surprised it originated as long ago as the 1920s.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not at all surprised, arnie, but then I spent much of my early years in Southern California, where most Anglos were quite prejudiced against anyone from South of the US/Mexico border. From second grade on, I attended school with Mexicans, Guatemalans, Salvadorans, etc, as well as Chinese and Japanese. I never sensed any prejudice against the Asians coming from adults, but many bristled with hatred of Mexicans, et.al.
Oddly, if you were descended from a Spanish Mexican family, you were considered white, hence little to no prejudice.

Proof, were you referring above to piso mojado, Spanish for "wet floor? I'm not quite sure. A peso for your thoughts!

<Proofreader>
posted
I've always heard and assumed a peon was a person in a state of servitude to a more affluent master, one step up from slave.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Proofreader>,

posted Hide Post
Yes, thanks for clarifying. I just didn't track your thinking.

Geoff the dimwit