Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    What does this mean to you?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What does this mean to you? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am curious - what would this question mean to you?

"What percentage of simulation does your state/jurisdiction allow to be substituted for clinical experiences?"

Once a few of you have weighed in I will let you know what is meant. For the record, I changed the wording, but I am curious what others think.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It means nothing to me as it is. What is it talking about? The death penalty, perhaps? Confused

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess clinical experiences are studies and simulations are some sort of computer models? The question is asking how much evidence is supplied by clinical experience and how much by simulation.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Or possibly simulated with dummies instead of real patients? There are some pretty sophisticated dummies produced for crash testing, medical training, etc.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My guess would be the same as goofy.
Not sure how you would measure it though.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I just wondered if it sounded to you that the simulation was replacing the clinical experiences or vice versa. It was supposed to ask about the percentage of simulation that is allowed to be used as a substitute for actual experiences with patients. However, I thought the wording was unclear.

Here is how I changed it: "Does your state/jurisdiction allow simulation as a substitute for traditional clinical experiences in prelicensure nursing education?” Then, if they answered yes, using skip logic, I asked “What is the maximum percentage of simulation that your state/jurisdiction allows as a substitute for traditional clinical experiences?”

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I just wondered if it sounded to you that the simulation was replacing the clinical experiences or vice versa. It was supposed to ask about the percentage of simulation that is allowed to be used as a substitute for actual experiences with patients. However, I thought the wording was unclear.

I did not think that was unclear.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I agree with Goofy that the original wording is clear. However yours is crystal-clear & user-friendly. Plus avoids complicated answers by breaking into two parts. It may take a few more words on your end, but I comprehend more quickly on my end.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think what probably threw me was that often something is being substituted by, rather than for, something else, which clearly would have been wrong.