Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

metanalysis Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have always known the science definition of the word, "metanalysis" (combining studies and their statistics for more far-reaching results). However, there is also a linguistic definition to this word apparently - meaning words coming into being because of mistakes, also called "false division" or "misdivision." Here are some examples. Are there some you can think of?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about "mondegreen?" Do we have overlapping terms in this example?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
YES! That is perfect. What others, guys?

posted Hide Post
Mondegreen is a mishearing, like listening to Purple Haze and hearing “Scuse me while I kiss this guy.”

Metanalysis is a mistaken analysis of word boundaries, like “an apron” for “a napron”. Other examples might be algebra, alchemy, admiral which all are derived from Arabic forms with the definite article.

posted Hide Post
It still sems that "mondegreen" the word itself, overlaps into metanalysis territory.

I knew that algebra and alchemy were of Arabic origin, but ya done learned me sumthin' with admiral! The Arabic article,"Al" and Spanish "El" are cognate, I believe.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
The Arabic article,"Al" and Spanish "El" are cognate, I believe.

No, I'm afraid they're not.

posted Hide Post
I'm surprised! Where did the Spanish definite article come from if not from Arabic?

posted Hide Post
Arabic and Spanish are not related, and grammatical words like articles are usually not borrowed.

Spanish el is from Latin ille "that". French and Italian articles are from the same source.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I did realize there was a nuanced difference between mondegreen and metanalysis, but I do think generally they are quite related.
Nice to see you again, Goofy!

posted Hide Post
I think the most important difference between metanalysis and mondegreen is that metanalysis changes a word’s phonology, while mondegreen does not.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was thinking it was because of the way they each evolved. Aren't the sound changes somewhat similar? For example, compare "naperon" to "an apron" (metanalyis) to "varicose veins" being changed to "very close veins" (mondegreen).

posted Hide Post
You're right, they are similar. But metanalysis results in the word's sound changing. Mondegreen is mistaking a phrase for another existing word or phrase.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suppose I see your point, though in the link above, this is how "apron" was explained:

"The word for a cloth covering in Middle French was naperon, which came from nape, meaning “tablecloth.” (In modern French, a tablecloth is called a nappe.) Naperon came into English in the 14th century, but referring to it in English as “a napron” led to some people spelling the term as “an apron” instead. The rest is messy history."

I'd think you could say the same thing, just switch the varicose veins story with it. Hearing it differently and therefore saying it differently, rather than changing the word's sound, seems very similar to me.

posted Hide Post
The OED Online defines them thus:

mondegreen
A misunderstood or misinterpreted word or phrase resulting from a mishearing, esp. of the lyrics to a song.

metanalysis
The reinterpretation of the form of a word resulting in the creation of a new word; esp. the changing of the boundaries between words or morphological units

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That distinction does make sense. You are right.