Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bi- Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Since we've been around for awhile now, I think we've talked about this before. Do bi-weekly, bi-monthly and bi-annually really mean either twice a week, month or year and every two weeks, months or years? That seems so confusing, but it's what the dictionary says.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a pair of robins nesting on one of the columns supporting our front porch, so I think of it as bi- bi- birdie. As for the other either-or meaning, I'm never sure. It does sonfuse me!

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Do bi-weekly, bi-monthly and bi-annually really mean either twice a week, month or year and every two weeks, months or years?

That's why we have lawyers.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
It's even more confusing in the plant kingdom. Biennials technically take two years to mature and flower. But if you 'vernalize' them (partially germinate then chill until spring), they behave like annuals. Some annuals are Such good re-seeders they seem to be biennials or perennials. And many of the 'annuals' we plant in the north are actually perennials that can't take cold winters (e.g., impatiens, salvia, gerbera daisies, geranium, marigold).

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember Mike McGrath on the radio show, "You Bet Your Garden" saying just that recently.
https://whyy.org/programs/you-bet-your-garden/

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post