Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Panopticon Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I was introduced to a new concept in testing today, panopticon. It comes from the Panopticon prisons where the prison design is such that the prisoners are not able to tell whether they are actually being watched or not...so, theoretically, they will behave. Related to testing, I'm told, it means that students will prepare more for an exam if they suspect more analytical/difficult types of questions.

Have any of you heard of this word used this way? How have you seen Panopticon used?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of the Gallifreyan version, but then I'm not a great Dr Who fan. I have heard of the prison from somewhere but I've no idea how I came across it. Using the word to describe types of tests seems to be rather a stretch IMO.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, goofy. That article says that panopticon likely originated from: "The name panopticon was likely derived from opticon, the Gallifreyan word for the ancient village meeting place." Though it also cited another source that said, "The name derives from Greek, meaning 'all seeing', and was used to refer to a type of prison in which guards could see into all prison cells at once." I always thought the latter was how the word originated.

arnie, I too thought linking the word to types of tests was pushing the envelope.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Thanks for the link, goofy. That article says that panopticon likely originated from: "The name panopticon was likely derived from opticon, the Gallifreyan word for the ancient village meeting place." Though it also cited another source that said, "The name derives from Greek, meaning 'all seeing', and was used to refer to a type of prison in which guards could see into all prison cells at once." I always thought the latter was how the word originated.

Yes, you're right, it is from Greek. But in the fiction of Doctor Who, the word has been given a different origin. Welcome to the difference between an "in-universe perspective" and a "real world perspective".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The type of fan who will create entire fictional encyclopedias based not just on the TV series but on cross referencing the literally thousands of pieces of written fiction doesn't stop at making up etymologies - they make up whole languages, cultures and histories.

That short article alone, in addition to the actual series references four written novels and an audio novel.

At the point where I gave up entirely on reading Doctor Who novels or listening to doctor who audio books there were well over five hundred available in total. And that was about twelve years ago. Since then many more have been published.

The work involved in cataloging and cross referencing them would be enormous. I don't know whether to be in awe of the dedication involved or to pity what looks like extreme OCD.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
The type of fan who will create entire fictional encyclopedias based not just on the TV series but on cross referencing the literally thousands of pieces of written fiction doesn't stop at making up etymologies - they make up whole languages, cultures and histories.

They're not exactly making things up, they're putting all the sources together and trying to come up with a coherent story. Speaking as someone who does this, it is a little bit crazy.

quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
At the point where I gave up entirely on reading Doctor Who novels or listening to doctor who audio books there were well over five hundred available in total. And that was about twelve years ago. Since then many more have been published.

That's why I only read the ones that sound interesting or that have good reviews. If you want recommendations, let me know.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: goofy,