Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    brochure, pamphlet, flyer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

brochure, pamphlet, flyer? Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I tend to use these terms interchangeably, do you?

OED has:
quote:
brochure: [Fr.; lit. ‘a stitched work’, f. brocher to stitch: see -URE.]

A short printed work, of a few leaves merely stitched together; a pamphlet. Also, spec. a small pamphlet or booklet describing the amenities of a place, etc.

pamphlet seems to mean about the same thing, but has a MUCH longer definition . . .

there's other words meaning about the same thing: handout, leaflet . .. are there more?

(Does anyone else have trouble concentrating during meetings at work after a word question like this pops into their head? I want you all to know that I blame you for this!)

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I tend to use brochure, leaflet and pamphlet more or less interchangeably. Flyer isn't really used here and handout I only associate with printed notes that I give to students in my class.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The definition given makes it clear that they are not interchangeable. A brochure is stiched - usually with wire staples - whereas a leaflet is simply a sheet of paper. A pamphlet is usually a folded piece of paper but could also be a brochure (if is it of several pages and stiched).

A flyer is simply a promotional document which could be a leaflet, pamphlet or even brochure that has been sent out "to fly". That is, to be seen by many potential customers as it wings its way about the delivery system.

The travel industry tends to use the term "brochure" for any piece of promotional literature, regardless of its size or binding style. As a purist I prefer to use the term catalogue - but most travel people don't understand it!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Does anyone else have trouble concentrating during meetings at work after a word question like this pops into their head? I want you all to know that I blame you for this!)

Oh...yes! I have written some of my best OEDILF limericks during really boring lectures at conventions. And sometimes I am the instigator of off-the-subject word discussions. In one of our meetings, I used the word "balderdash," and my boss said she hadn't heard that word used very often. Suddenly we were discussing favorite words of everyone, and of course "epicaricacy" came up. It was great fun...until the inevitable, "Let's move on!"

I usually use pamphlet and brochure interchangeably, but I, too, think of leaflet as a sheet of paper. Handouts to me, like Bob, are notes given to students or attendees at conferences. Flyers are more like leaflets to me.

I suppose booklet, handbill, bulletin, and circular could also be thrown in there.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
It's on a bit of a tangent, but tract is similar

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow...I looked it up and you are right. I have never heard 'tract' used that way. I think of 'tract' as meaning 'an expanse of land or water, especially land.' Interesting!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post