Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bob's your uncle Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Whence comes this expression? What does it mean?

Clueless Asa

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
We discussed this a while back in this thread. Michael Quinion of World Wide Words has an article and so does The Word Detective, Evan Morris.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't know about other Americans, but I've not heard it used here (I've only read about it), and I suspect it's more common in England.

The Quinion article, mentioning other uses of "Bob," reminded me of a group of limericks that Bob wrote on OEDILF on "Bob." They were good! I see I mentioned them, too, in the thread that arnie linked to.

I found this interesting from the Quinion article:
quote:
Since the very word nepotism derives from the Italian word for nephew (from the practice of Italian popes giving preferment to nephews, a euphemism for their bastard sons), the association here seems more than apt.
I did not know that's where nepotism originated. (By the way, wouldn't you say "preference," rather than "preferment?")

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the Italian word for nephew

The Italian word neopte is from the Latin word nepos, nepotis, 'grandson; nephew; descendant; spendthrift'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh: By the way, wouldn't you say "preference," rather than "preferment?"

preferment has a more specific sense which applies here: promotion or appointment to a position or office [Compact OED]