Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    wine is to oenophile as beer is to what?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

wine is to oenophile as beer is to what? Login/Join

Picture of zmježd
posted
It just occurred to me in medias rant in another thread that there's no term like oenophile for 'somebody who enjoys beer'. A few minutes googling led me to this squib. I see the good folks at RealBeer dot com have been pondering this self-same terminological question, too. While, I, too, thought of the neologism Cerevisaphile, I don't much like it, though cerevisa is the Latin for beer. (And what's not to like about Latin?) I guess I'll just have to go with beer-loving as an adjective and beer geek for the noun.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hophead?

The term is in actual use.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Thanks, wordnerd. Here's the results of a poll.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, wordnerd, most dictionaries define it as slang for drug addict, and I like beer too much to consider that word. Besides, when it is linked to beer (as with Wikipedia), it usually is used specifically for those who like hoppy beer, like IPAs.

I thought my Paul Dickson book, Words, which has pages on drinking words, had a word for beer lover, but it doesn't. I rather like Cerevisaphile that Gregg Smith on z's link had come up with.

I post on realbeer.com every so often. They can have some good discussions sometimes.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
NASCAR fan? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post