Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    An out-of-body experience?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

An out-of-body experience? Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Today I heard a golf commentator use a term they apply to virtually every athletic fete. He said the player "stayed within himself."

What does that mean? That his soul is intact? That he hasn't exhibited metaphysical properties?

Another golf idiom that bugs me is the player had "a good up and down." What other way can a golf ball travel except up and then down? Shouldn't they instead credit his accuracy or shot distance?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Not being a sports fan, I never hear this kind of commentary, so I am afraid that I can't help.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stay Within Yourself
quote:
A piece of advice that is beneficial in all athletics as well as life, stay within yourself means know your limits and capabilities. Maybe your coach has asked you to “not do too much,” which means the same thing.
In other words, no hotdogging (performing in a recklessly or flamboyantly skillful manner, as in a sport or athletic activity; showing off)

Up and down
quote:
The situation where a player holes the ball in two strokes starting from off the green. The first stroke, usually a "pitch", a "bunker shot" or a "chip", gets the ball "up" onto the green, and the subsequent putt gets the ball "down" into the hole. A variation is called "up and in".

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, thanks for that, Tinman, because I never would have known that. I haven't heard that comment before.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post