Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dummy tossing Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
On the model aircraft forum that I frequent, someone from the UK used the expression, "throw the dummy out the pram." Is that common in the UK? Or have you run out of dummies and now use politicians? An explanation of its usage would be much appreciated.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The dummy in this instance is called a comforter pacifier in the US. An artificial teat, in other words. "To throw the dummy out of the pram" means to have a childish hissy fit, usually to one's own detriment; immediately after the baby throws out the dummy, s/he then usually finds an urgent need for it. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow, I've never heard that before. I like it!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stella
posted Hide Post
Downunder this is commonly "to spit the dummy" - to throw a tantrum, get mad and/or give up.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
"Throw his toys out of the pram" is a UK alternative I have heard.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I think in the USA we call them pacifiers.

Stella, I think folks in Oz must always be lost. They've got a state called NSW? NorthSouthWest? Only if they go East are they sure of where they're going! Wink Be glad you're in NZ!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think in the USA we call them pacifiers.

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry. I've edited my earlier post.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Now if you could do something about those strange directions in Oz...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The words might be different, but across the world I imagine tantrums are about the same.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I remember once when Si was still very young - maybe only about 6 months old, he was starting to fuss while in the car. He was in a rear-facing car seat in the passenger seat of our van (we didnt' have an air bag on that side), and I handed him his bottle.

A few minutes later, he started fussing again, and then crying. I tried searching for that damn bottle every chance I got - unable to search much while driving, being short and having short arms. I got to the stop light, came to a full stop, and decided to just hold up traffic until I found it.

Then Si looked sideways at me, and with his far-arm, pulled his bottle up with his hand, smiled, and started sucking on it.

6 months old and already playing jokes on Mom. Go figure.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post