Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arachibutyro- question Login/Join

posted
We've been talking about arachibutyrophobia, meaning something along the lines of 'fear of peanut butter'.

But I seem to recall that the peanut isn't a nut; it's a legume.

What's the difference?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I am not sure, but from this discussion I thought peanut butter came from a peanut.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I'm recalling my information from watching QI, a humourous quiz that takes pedantry to new heights and this question came up on there. As I recall they too said that peanuts are not, botanically speaking, technically a nut at all. I think they said they are a legume but I'm not certain of that bit.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Kalleh - a common project in elementary schools around here is to make peanut butter. The put a mess of shelled peanuts in a blender and, well, puree them. Then they add salt until it tastes right.

My own son, however, doesn't like PB because he basically doesn't like nuts of any kind. I'm not sure why. I love nuts!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I seem to recall that the peanut isn't a nut; it's a legume.
Quite right. Hence the name "groundnut". See Wikipedia.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love nuts!

Why am I not surprised? Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Botanically speaking, a nut is a hard, dry, indehiscent fruit containing a single seed, often wholly or partly enclosed by a husk, or involucre. A legume is a soft-shelled, dry, dehiscent (usually), fruit containg two or more seeds, not enclosed in a involucre.

It's not as simple as it seems, though. Not everything called a nut is a true nut, botanically. Here are Wayne's Word articles, Fruits Called Nuts, Fruit Terminology, The Peanut: A Subterranean Legume, and The Fabulous Nickernuts. Wikipedia also has an article about nuts.

Tinman

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post