New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pinker's latest Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
http://www.powells.com/review/2007_09_24.html?utm_source=review-a-day

Which leads me to question whether one might have an insight - a cognitive leap - apart from language. I think one might, since some animals problem solve. What say you smart critters?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lay no particular claim to smarts, but it seems to me we solve many everyday problems in our mind's eye without accessing words

posted Hide Post
I have read that Einstein said that he was able to think without language, and found it useful. But I have no references.

posted Hide Post
I bought this book last week and am slowly working through it. Pinker crams so much information into a short period that I find myself reading a chapter or so a night, so I can digest it all. I'll post more when I've finished.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The book sounds very interesting and quite appropriate for Wordcraft. We would appreciate your impressions, Sean. Asa, have you read it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I agree it sounds interesting. I might well see if I can get a copy.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've not read it, since I only learned about it through the review I posted. Give me some time! The review did prompt my question, however. I'm unsure regarding the nature of thought versus the nature of insight.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Colin McGinn's critique of Pinker (in part) says
quote:
It just doesn't seem true that everything nonphysical that we think about is metaphorical; for example, our legal concepts such as "rights" are surely not all mere metaphors, introduced on the shoulders of the concepts of intuitive physics.

I like very much Pinker's theory that language is like a grid built on just a few innate concepts which are, in essence: space, time, motion, substance. But I think McGinn has a good point, and that there are one or two "metaphysical" concepts wired in as well. I believe that's what all the
"Are we hard-wired for religion?" talk is about.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Mt newspaper carried a favourable review of The Stuff of Thought today. The reviewer said that she read it over a period of several evenings just before going to sleep; the sheer amount of information meant that she had to give up trying to read it in one or two sessions.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Douglas Hofstadter has an interesting review .

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:

I think McGinn has a good point, and that there are one or two "metaphysical" concepts wired in as well. I believe that's what all the

Your link reminds me of Jung's idea of the collective unconscious.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Douglas Hofstadter has an interesting review.

I liked the review. I'll have to take a look at the book in question.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Phew! Looks like too academic of a read for me. Sounds like interesting ideas, though. Enjoy your new book!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goofy:
Douglas Hofstadter has an interesting review .

Just catching up, Goofy (>pant,pant<Wink-- enjoyed the link very much. Nice thorough thought-provoking review.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Asa Lovejoy:
quote:

I think McGinn has a good point, and that there are one or two "metaphysical" concepts wired in as well. I believe that's what all the

Your link reminds me of Jung's idea of the collective unconscious.

Finally catching up on posts, Asa-- I was a lousy psych student in college, so I had to read Wiki on this. Right you are-- nothing new under the sun, is there? I was a hippie/ New-Ager, & came to the same concept via Jane Roberts' Seth books-- "cellular memory" (!)

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
So, old hippie, have you seen the movie, "What The (Bleep) Do We Know?"

posted Hide Post
quote:
So, old hippie, have you seen the movie, "What The (Bleep) Do We Know?"

Read this review before you see it:
quote:
Take home lesson: I can't emphasize enough how important it is that you not watch this movie.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Awwww, yeah, but it's such fun! Big Grin Besides, much of it was shot in my neighborhood!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Awwww, yeah, but it's such fun! Big Grin Besides, much of it was shot in my neighborhood!

Really? Cool. I haven't seen it, but I'm sort of curious despite the warnings. At least it'll be entertaining.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Asa, what neighborhood was that, Jupiter? har har, goofy, the review is a riot. my favorite line: "Hey, at least I haven't heard any chiropractors talking about quantum mechanics for more than ten minutes. I suppose that's the best I can hope for." (huh?)

I think on this cool autumn weekend, I'd rather curl up at home & watch another excellent movie, Plan 9 from Outer Space

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Plan 9 from Outer Space

Widely considered to be the worst movie ever made. Personally I think both Santa Claus Conquers The Martians and Night of the Lepus with its killer bunny rabbits, give it a good run for its money.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At least Santa Claus Conquers The Martians is entertaining. I'd vote for Attack of the the Eye Creatures or Sidehackers because not only do they make no sense, they're boring. I might include Manos: Hands of Fate, but I can't be sure whether it would have been entertaining without Joel and the bots.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Asa, what neighborhood was that, Jupiter?

Adhara, actually

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Adhara, actually

Is that one of Jupiter's moons? Confused

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
quote:
Adhara, actually

Is that one of Jupiter's moons? Confused
http://www.astro.uiuc.edu/~kaler/sow/adhara.html

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A friend sent me a link to a video of Pinker giving a talk at Google. It's over an hour long, but well worth a look-see. How cool!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post