Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spatchcock Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I had to drive into work today (normally I take the train), and on NPR I heard a man interviewed about how to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving. He mentioned the word spatchcock, which the interviewer (and I!) had not known. The common, and older, meaning is a chicken, split down the middle with the backbone removed, and then being dressed and roasted or grilled. Apparently there is another use of the word, though chiefly British, and that is to stuff things together inappropriately. An example from Quinion is, "But far from being some grand, thoughtful programme,
it was only a spatchcock of improvisation and platitude."

Have you heard the word before? Both definitions?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Spatchcock as a foodstiff, yes - but I have never heard the slang expression.

Both are quite rare I reckon.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've come across the word used in both the original and figurative meanings. As RE mentions, it's quite rare, though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I beleive it is a truncation from Old English "to kill a bird" dispatchcock.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From the OED Online:
quote:
dispatch | despatch, n./
dispatch cock n.

1785   F. Grose Classical Dict. Vulgar Tongue at Spatch cock,   Abbreviation of a dispatch cock, an Irish dish upon any sudden occasion.

1834   West Ind. Sketch-bk. I. 299   These..dispatch cocks..are simply fowls cut down the back and expanded to the purposes of a grill..they afford an agreeable relief to an appetite that demands haste to be gratified—whence the name.

spatch-cock | spatchcock, n.
Etymology: See quot. 1785 at sense 1 and dispatch n. Compounds 1.

1.A fowl split open and grilled after being killed, plucked, and dressed in a summary fashion. Also attrib. Orig. in Irish use, later chiefly Anglo-Indian.

1785   F. Grose Classical Dict. Vulgar Tongue,   Spatch cock, abbreviation of a dispatch cock, an Irish dish upon any sudden occasion. It is a hen just killed from the roost, or yard, and immediately skinned, split, and broiled.

1819   T. Moore Mem. (1853) II. 317   We had a good deal of laughing at an Irishman who was of our party, on account of a bull he had made at breakfast, and which we called ‘half a nightingale’—a sort of ‘spatch-cock nightingale’.

1823   T. Moore Fables Holy Alliance i. 86   Proud Prussia's double bird of prey, Tame as a spatch-cock, slunk away.

1851   R. F. Burton Goa 258   Presently the ‘butler’ informs you that your breakfast, a spatchcock, or a curry with eggs,..is awaiting you.

1875   I. L. Bird Six Months in Sandwich Islands (1880) 99   Supper was ready for us;..the spatchcock and salmon reminded me of home. 

2. (See quot. 1901.)

1901   A. G. Bradley Highways & Byways Lake District 62   Any official..would have run a grave risk of being made a spatchcock of, or in other words, of his head being stuck in a rabbit~hole, and his legs staked to the ground.

spatchcock, v.
Etymology:  < spatch-cock n.

1. trans. To cook as, or in the manner of, a spatchcock.

1879   Mrs. A. G. F. E. James Indian Househ. Managem. 34   You sit down..to your fowl—spatch-cocked of course, that being the natives' favourite way of dressing the tempting dish.

1890   Queen 11 Jan. 68/3   To split a fowl in two and serve one half à la Marengo, and the other half the next day either spatchcocked with mushrooms, or in any other approved fashion.

a. To insert, interpolate, or sandwich (a phrase, sentence, etc.). Const. in or into.

1901   Gen. Buller in Times 11 Oct. 10/2,   I therefore spatchcocked into the middle of that telegram a sentence in which [etc.].

1901   Daily Chron. 18 Oct. 3/4   Such indifferent performances as ‘Catriona’—indifferent in spite of the fine short story ‘spatchcock'd’ into it.

1903   Mahaffy in Cal. State Papers Ireland Introd. 12   We read phrases of apparent sincere religious fervour spatchcocked in between these bloodthirsty expressions.

b. To add to, or modify, by interpolation.

1901   Daily Chron. 24 Oct. 5/6   They knew of the spatch~cocked telegram then.

1901   Speaker 16 Nov. 190/1   Generals spatchcock telegrams and receive dismissal.

Derivatives

ˈspatchcocked adj.

1865   Pall Mall Gaz. 2 Aug. 3   Those who have never eaten spatchcocked grouse can hardly be said to know the real flavour of the bird.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Proof, to your comment: "Captain Francis Grose described it like that in his 1785 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue: “Spatch cock, abbreviation of a dispatch cock, an Irish dish upon any sudden occasion. It is a hen just killed from the roost, or yard, and immediately skinned, split, and broiled.” (from Quinion above)

Tinman, thank you for your research!

<Proofreader>
posted
Try to make a joke and find you are prescient.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, you are prescient, proof! Wink

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
What a cool word! I watched my culinary brother do this to a turkey one Thanksgiving, pulling the ribs right out with the backbone. Then he severed the legs, & stuffed & rolled the breasts for roasting. The 'spatchcocking' part of the operation was amazingly swift despite the size of the fowl.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
pulling the ribs right out with the backbone.

I do it barehanded, sometimes using my teeth.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:
pulling the ribs right out with the backbone.

I do it barehanded, sometimes using my teeth.

which you presumably take out and hold in your hand, right?

Big Grin

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The person on NPR being interviewed said that it's a great word to call someone when you're mad..."You spatchcock!"