Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Questions & Answers about Words    How many syllables in "Don't spoil the oil"??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many syllables in "Don't spoil the oil"?? Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
OK people, settle an argument for me.

A while back it was claimed that somehow "fire" is, by definition, a one-syllable word. Without rehashing that particular fight, how does everyone feel about the word "oil"? Does anyone say "OY-yull"? Or how about "spoil"? Would making it past tense increase the possibility of an extra syllable as in "SPOY-yulled"? To me, born and raised in New England, these are both one-syllable words but God knows I've been wrong before.

Obviously this is playing havoc with the stress patterns of some of our limericks. Rather than tell my people "OK you knuckleheads, do it my way!" (As a child, Moe was always my favorite Stooge.) I would much rather open this up to a reasonable debate here on Wordcraft so that in the end, you all can tell my people, "OK you knuckleheads, do it Chris's way."

That is, of course, assuming I'm correct. Am I?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
oil
spoil
oiled
spoiled

all one syllable Chris. They are to me anyway.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
Oil and spoil, as well as spoiled, are for me 1.5 syllables at most. But seriously, they're monosyllabic. Now I gotta question: is pie single or double syllabled?

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You know, CJ, I would have said 2 syllables before posting here. However, our 'fire' discussion, and then our 'world' discussion, convinces me that it is one syllable.

However, as I was checking OEDILF about another question, I found this limerick by CJ:

"Aged" with one syllable, please,
Is a term that is meant to appease.
It's a tribute, I trust,
Meaning "strong" or "robust."
(Assuming you're some kind of cheese!)

"Aged" has 1 syllable? I say "ag-ed." If it does have 2, then my Washington Post submission for "antediluvian" is off, as I used "aged" in it, with 2 syllables.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
"Aged" can be pronounced with one or two syllables, depending on the part of speech being used.

We would say "I aged ten years waiting for the results." and it would be pronounced age'd (one syllable). However, if I were to refer to "My venerable and aged grandfather" it would be pronounced age-ed and have two syllable.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Bugs Bunny pronounces such words with two syllable, "...OK Mac - where's the fy-er..."
I don't know what kind of American accent he has.

In UK English fire (and oil, and oiled, and spoiled) are all monosyllabic too.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jheem
posted Hide Post
I don't know what kind of American accent he has.

He's a Brooklyn Bunny ...

Posts: 1218 | Location: CaliforniaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Thanks, arnie, for that "aged" advice as I was about to change my entire "antediluvian" limerick. We'll see what the workshoppers say, now.

I find pronunciations sooo interesting. I heard a physician from England speak today. He was showing powerpoints with "figures" and pronounced them "figgers." It took me awhile to understand what he meant!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Coming from a more musical background, I tend to sing or recite depending on what I know the meter of the phrase should be. If the phrase containing oil requires 2 syllables, I would oblige. If a single syllable is all that is needed, it would be quick and dirty (as oil often is).

Maybe I'm more flexible than I should be?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm more flexible than I should be?

I don't think you are more flexible that you should be. I think you are probably right. In limericks and double dactyls we should think of the pronunciations that way.

I heard another today that I don't much like: "off-ten," instead of "off-en."