Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nor'easter Login/Join

Picture of wordmatic
posted
Today the Mid-Atlantic states of the U.S. are under the heavy, windy rain-producing clouds of a "classic Nor'easter," a large area of barometric depression with an eye like a hurricane and counter-clockwise winds. Such storms often produce blizzards along the East coast in the winter.

It suddenly struck me as I was reading about the nor'easter that the media seem to slip into the dialect of a Maine lobsterman when reporting on these storms. Then I looked it up on Onelook, which led me to a Wikipedia Article here. It looks as if there has been a long-term debate over whether the use of "Nor'easter" for "Northeaster" is a "landlubber's affectation" or, well, not. If the use of "nor" for "north" goes back to 1612, why is it any more affected to say "Nor'easter" for Northeaster than it is to say "WUHster" for "Worcester?" And why would a descriptivist like Mark Lieberman be a prescriptivist regarding something that is definitely just a language trend?

Interesting, and I haven't really decided which I prefer. "Nor'easter" sounds more natural to me, since I've heard it so often--and also wild and romantic, like something out of a Conrad novel. "Northeaster" sounds stilted, dull and uninteresting. OK, I have decided. I'm going with "Nor'easter." Does that make me a literary affector, or what?

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordmatic:
And why would a descriptivist like Mark Lieberman be a prescriptivist regarding something that is definitely just a language trend?

I don't think he is. In Liberman's actual Language Log post, he just says it's a literary affectation. He might be wrong about that, or he might be right, but I don't see where he's being prescriptive.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Hmm. You may be right. I may have misinterpreted that. I thought, at least, he was being dismissive.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
why is it any more affected to say "Nor'easter" for Northeaster than it is to say "WUHster" for "Worcester?"

"WUHster" [b]isp/b] the correct pronunciation, or perhaps "WOOster" would be closer.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
or perhaps "WOOster" would be closer.

Not sure about the UK, but /ˈwʊstər/ is proper for the city in Massachusetts.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I only meant that perhaps "Nor'easter" is also the "correct" pronunciation.

My husband, who grew up in Upstate New York, says it was always pronounced "Nor'easter" where he comes from--not just recently.

WM

<Proofreader>
posted
Ayuh. It's ah nar-easta heahabouts.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
An elderly roué from Bicester
Behaved, I regret, like a blicester.
After having his way
With young girl one day
That blicester kicester sicester.

Ah the wonders of British place names!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I only meant that perhaps "Nor'easter" is also the "correct" pronunciation.

Most of the citations in the Dictionary of American Regional English (link) agree with Liberman. (See especially the one for 1978 from Yankee.) It does not at all strike me as unusual. And the funny thing is in many of the Northeastern states the regional accents are non-rhotic, so you would expect the r being dropped and not the th. Also, Liberman is not saying that folks should pronounce it one way or another, he's just pointing out that the preferred pronunciation is not what it used to be.

[Addendum: a search on "no'theaster" discloses a bunch of hits on early 20th century literature, especially books by the Cape Code native Joseph C Lincoln (link) which uses this spelling.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Nor'easter" sounds more natural to me, since I've heard it so often--and also wild and romantic, like something out of a Conrad novel. "Northeaster" sounds stilted, dull and uninteresting.
Very interesting. It certainly isn't pronounced that way around here. Indeed, I've never heard it pronounced that way.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Do people say "northeaster" in Chicago?

WM

<Proofreader>
posted
In New England the pronuncitation is more "Nahr'eastah".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
You know, Wordmatic, I just don't know that I've heard it used before. I think we'd say northeaster, but I am not sure.

As your link in Wikipedia says (though it's a year off), the OED's first use of the word is from 1837. Their last quote is here, and I really liked it: "1997 A. R. AMMONS Glare 193 Well, it's Easter morning right now, with a nor'easter, out-of-whack, whipper-jawed, eight-inch dump load of snow on the ground."

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Maybe they don't even talk about nor'easters in Chicago, since they're too busy talking about lake effect snow?

WM

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Okay, I checked this out with Shu. It seems that he says (and hears) nor'easter. I was wrong.