Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prick in the throat Login/Join

posted
I know I've already asked about the tickle in one's throat that precedes a cough; well, along the same lines, is there a word for the prick in one's throat that precedes a tear? (Other than 'prick', that is.)

PS The double entendre in the thread title was -- I promise -- not intentional.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anycon:
I know I've already asked about the tickle in one's throat that precedes a cough; well, along the same lines, is there a word for the prick in one's throat that precedes a tear? (Other than 'prick', that is.)

PS The double entendre in the thread title was -- I promise -- not intentional.

I've always heard it referred to as a "lump in the throat".

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I suspect he's referring to a different feeling - the one in which it feels as though you'd just swallowed a needle. It's a very localised sensation, and most annoying! Whatever it's called (Haberdasher? Kalleh? Help!) I'm glad it doesn't happen often!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
paresthesia can be a prickling sensation, but I think that's normally a skin sensation. I don't know whether it can be used for an internal sensation.

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
paresthesia can be a prickling sensation, but I think that's normally a skin sensation. I don't know whether it can be used for an internal sensation.

Not that I have ever seen, Tinman. I have only seen "paresthesias" used to mean skin sensations.

This one is harder for me, anycon, because, while I can relate to a tickle before a cough, I don't think I get a prick before a tear.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybes it's dialectal. Though I'm not sure there is a Hertfordshire dialect. Yes I recognise the phrase 'lump in the throat' too. So is there a Latinate/Hellenic word for that?