Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

calved off Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I read about something being "calved off," though I hadn't heard "calve" used that way. I thought it was a misprint. However, in looking it up I see that another meaning is: "(of a glacier, an iceberg, etc.) to break up or splinter so as to produce a detached piece."

Have you heard it used to mean that? Is it common? How is it related to glaciers? Is it a different etymology from "calf" and "calve?"

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've seen this use fairly often referring to icebergs. The analogy is with a cow and its calf. Glaciers are of course the "parents" of icebergs.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe whales calve as well.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
And mother whales are called cows ...

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I too have heard the expression, but it does seem quite a specialized term. Not exactly in everyday conversation.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This, surprisingly, was used in a comic. I'll see if I can find it.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here it is.

<Proofreader>
posted
I always thought ice falling off a glacier meant it was deglazed.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Thanks, Proofreader, for breaking the ice!

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
I had only heard it used for pieces of a glacier breaking off, and not of icebergs, though that makes sense. I guess when the Titanic hit the iceberg, it must have calved.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
I guess when the Titanic hit the iceberg, it must have calved.

No, it sank.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I expect the passengers and crew had a cow.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the ambiguity. "It" refers to the glacier, not the ship!

WM

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The Titanic just reminded me of one of the funniest St. Patrick's Day jokes I've ever heard.

Pat and Mike are in a lifeboat after leaving a burning ship. They examine the boat's provisions but find there is no water on board. They do come across an old lamp, and when Pat rubs it, a genie appears, telling them he will grant them one wish.

Without thinking, Pat says, "I wish the ocean were made of Guinness."

The genie claps his hands and disappears. At the same instant the ocean turns dark and covered with foam. The two Irishmen grab cups and start to drink the beer.

After a few minutes, Mike says, "Pat, I think you may have made a big mistake with that wish."

"Why do you think that?"

"Well, for one thing, we're going to have to pee in the boat."