Notify
Tools

digital flashlight Login/Join

posted
How can a flashlight be digital

Isn't that like saying judgmental refrigerator or anxious pomegranate

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Googled it, and the digital seems to refer to the LED outputs on the handle. So, it seems like misleading advertising. Cuz digital is cool. But the bulbs are halogen and neither analog or digital.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's got numbers on it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
More "guesses"? We don't guess here; we research (thanks, zmj).

The brand with the most ghits is Vector, which gives no indication of why the product is 'digital'. However, it has has a 'hologen' beam which is 'foucused', plus a '2 positioin' switch. Does this give you the impression of reliability?

We do know why SureFire's flashlight is 'digital'. It has a "unique digitally controlled two-stage switching mechanism". In other words, you operate it with your fingers. Also, they say, "Digital current regulation circuitry provides a more consistent ... light." All this for only $195.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suspect that the Vector linked above and possibly also the Surefire employs pulse-width or -frequency techniques to provide two brighteness levels; thus it might conceivably be classed as truly digital

However, I am rapidly concluding that the term is used to mean merely using current technology; thus the digital toothbrush

Another typical example of the continuing decline of the Mother Tongue in which nearly any word can be used to mean nearly anything

Edited to add, surprise! some of these flashlights do have features like LED battery display, which are truly digital

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
More "guesses"? We don't guess here; we research (thanks, zmj).

Of course we guess here! We make hasty generalizations, we draw unwarranted conclusions, we miscontrue each others' words (sometimes purposely) all the time, we quote out of context, we cite opinion as fact, we ...

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Half the posts above (excluding those of Dale, who posed the question) reflect research via google. I think that's a pretty good ratio, especially when I contrast the like percentage elsewhere. And of course, tinman, you are one of our absolutely best researchers.

<quietly-proud-of-how-we-conduct-ourselves-icon>

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course we guess here! We make hasty generalizations, we draw unwarranted conclusions, we miscontrue each others' words (sometimes purposely) all the time, we quote out of context, we cite opinion as fact, we ...

Not often, Tinman. If you don't agree with particular statements or conclusions that are made, please say something when it occurs. We all welcome that kind of discussion, as well as accuracy.

I will say that boards go through down periods sometimes, and I think we are in a bit of a dip now. People have been sniping at each other a little more than usual. Unfortunately, I am no exception. It was inexcusable of me to call everyone "nuts" just because they disagreed with me in that thread where we were talking about the use of the word "queer"! Roll Eyes Once again, I am sorry.

Tinman, speak up next time!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:

we run around naked in the moonlight . . . we make typos . . . we love coming back for more! Yay us!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
ALL flashlights I've ever seen are digital! One uses one's fingers to turn them on! As to why we in the USA call them "flashlights" when we know darned well we mean something else I'll never fathom.

It seems stupidly trendy to stick such faddish words as "digital," "turbo, " and "high-tech" on damned near everything today. Digital torches, turbo can openers, and high-tech tweezers. YECCCCHHHHH!!!!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post