Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Junking conjunctions Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
More and more often I've been seeing conjunctions used at the beginning of sentences instead of being used to conjoin two thoughts in one sentence. For instance, "Mary had a cold. But that didnt stop her from playing." I've seen it in everyday writing AND in supposedly learned papers. What gives?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I were being uncharitable, I'd say a lack of knowledge of grammar...

I see this a lot too, and it never fails to make me wince. It is marginally better than not using conjunctions at all though. I remember an otherwise undistinguished science fiction book I had borrowed from the local library which was almost totally devoid of conjunctions and thus completely unreadable. My mother didn't believe me until she tried reading it and gave up even sooner than I had!

Is there a word equivalent to illiterate or innumerate for someone who doesn't know how to use grammar?

Ros

[This message was edited by Ros on Thu Jul 17th, 2003 at 3:08.]

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
And what, pray, is wrong with using a conjunction at the beginning of a sentence? Also, why should conjunctions be used only to link ideas within sentences?

But I agree to an extent; it is only the knowledge of the rules of English that allows a writer to know when they can be "bent". Or even broken. I do it with relish. And often.

What I find more strange is the increasing propensity in US speech to drop prepositions, as in the sentence, "He protesed the verdict". The correct rendition should be "He protested against the verdict" and the preposition has a purpose. It would be perfectly possible for someone to protest FOR a verdict - unusual, maybe, but possible.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I was being uncharitable...

OK, I need help with this bit of grammar. I was taught that when you are using "if" or "wish", you use "were" rather than "was". This sentence should read: "If I were being uncharitable...". Granted, I hear it incorrect more than correct lately.

Thinking about a famous song, "If I were a rich man...", now that is done correctly!

Posts: 1412 | Location: Buffalo, NY, United StatesReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, Ros and Asa, I suffer from using too many conjunctions at the beginning of sentences! I know it! I am not sure how it happened because I never used to do that. Perhaps I am seeing it more, so I have begun to think the use more acceptable?

I am going to stop! Red Face

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I am going to stop!

No need to stop. Richard properly asserts that when one knows what conjunctions do, one may bend the rules to good effect. My point is that most who do so create potholes in the verbal roadway.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Morgan:
I was taught that when you are using "_if_" or "_wish_", you use "_were_" rather than "_was_". This sentence should read: "_If_ I_ were_ being uncharitable...". Granted, I hear it incorrect more than correct lately.

Thinking about a famous song, "If I were a rich man...", now that is done correctly!

Well caught Morgan. You're quite right... Frown

Ros

Posts: 185 | Location: London, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
No need to stop.
The fact is, I don't really like sentences that start with conjunctions. I think I have been doing it because it has become so rampant. That's surely no reason to keep it up.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post