Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euphemism Login/Join

posted
This is one of a number of reputed synonyms for bathroom, recently discussed in WW:

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18793

I don't find much support for it, not even in UD, and so I wonder if anybody else has heard it used this way

posted Hide Post
Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966), about half-way down.

While everyone is drinking the free-flowing alcohol, George tells Martha to help the wilting Honey find the bathroom in a famous line:

Martha, will you show her where we keep the...eh, euphemism?

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dalehileman:
This is one of a number of reputed synonyms for bathroom, recently discussed in WW:

http://www.wordwizard.com/ch_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18793.
I don't find much support for it, not even in UD, and so I wonder if anybody else has heard it used this way

What is?

As an opening post in a thread entiltled "euphemism" I'd say that this is something of a non sequitur. The reference gives little additional help in determining which specific euphemism you are talking about.
Then again, poking around your posts on other forums, non sequiturs and surveys with unrevealed purposes and outcomes seem very much your forte.

Each to his own and all that but as conversational strategies they do run the risk of quite rapidly starting to alienate the others involved.

Don't they?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Can't say I'd considered "euphemism" to be the euphemism involved. Perhaps a little more clarity of expression and a little less "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you" obscurity would be in order.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wasn't sure, either, which euphemism you were referring to.

I know along the way we've discussed bathroom euphemisms here, too, but I couldn't specifically find where. However, we did discuss euphemisms here and here.

I think they're fun! Folks, what bathroom ones can we come up with?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Let us hope, most sincerely, that the word "euphemism" does not become an accepted euphemism for the place here subject to mention since, if it does, then it, too, will soon become unacceptable.

Then we'd need to find another euphemism to replace the "rude" word "euphemism"

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Is the politically correct word for "bitchyness" eupheminism? Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got some static on WS also, was accused of the utmost rudeness. It looks like to avoid offense we'll have to find a more nearly euphemistic euphemism for the euphemism "euphemism"

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Big Grin

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let us hope, most sincerely, that the word "euphemism" does not become an accepted euphemism for the place here subject to mention since, if it does, then it, too, will soon become unacceptable.

Boy, I must be dense. I don't know what in the world you mean by this. Confused

posted Hide Post
quote:

I simply meant that, if the word euphemism becomes another word for toilet/bathroom/lavatory/john/loo/khasi/bog/privvy/men's room/ladies' room/cloakroom then, before too long we won't be able to use the word "euphemism" either and will have to find another euphemism for the word euphemism itself.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

I simply meant that, if the word euphemism becomes another word for toilet/bathroom/lavatory/john/loo/khasi/bog/privvy/men's room/ladies' room/cloakroom then, before too long we won't be able to use the word "euphemism" either and will have to find another euphemism for the word euphemism itself.

RE, you're right. Did you know the one about the pianist/composer Max Reger, who after a performance received a vitriolic
review from a noted critic of the day (c. 1906). The next day the critic received a well reported note from Reger stating:
"I am sitting in the smallest room in my house.
I have your review before me.
In a moment it will be behind me."
I quite like his euphemism "smallest room" for its accuracy and lack of affected distatste for "vulgarity".

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I quite like his euphemism "smallest room" for its accuracy and lack of affected distatste for "vulgarity".

Actually that's quite a common one in England although perhaps less common than used to be the case.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, since bathrooms in the U.S. have become humungous, one could hardly call it the smallest room in the house anymore. Wink

posted Hide Post
Well,bathrooms might be large, but in the UK, the room that accommodates the lavatory, often quite a separate room from a bathroom, is usually the smallest room in the house.

Richard English

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Oh really? It's common to have the toilet in a room different from the bathroom?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In many houses, yes. It tends to be the slightly larger ones - but it's not at all uncommon.

We have just moved from a three-bed semi to a two bedroom bungalow and we have lost our separate toilet - more's the pity.

Richard English