Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Haboob Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
They had a (is it "a" or "an"?) haboob in Phoenix yesterday. I hadn't heard that word used before. Apparently it's an Arab word, since they have so many deserts, meaning "massive dust storm." Here is a picture of it: Link Here's a YouTube video of it: Link

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I see it's from a root HBB (Arabic habba 'to blow'). I had not heard of it before either. I do like weather words: like mistral or sirocco.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If that's what they really had, I suspect the governor of Arizona will try to have it deported. Roll Eyes

We had Chinook winds in Oregon/Washington, and So Cal has its Santa Ana (hot desert) winds. Around here the noteworthy winds are called tornadoes.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I like weather words, too. There are so many.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
There are so many.

Because folks like discussing the weather.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a daft video here of meteorologists trying to get to grips with the word.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/daves4...-anchors-saying-boob

Posts: 153 | Location: Merrie Olde EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Because folks like discussing the weather.
I've noticed that in cities other than Chicago. We just seem to put up with our weather. Very recently one day it was 96 here, and the very next day it was 50. Some would go crazy with that. In Chicago, we just say, "C'est la vie."

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
In Chicago, we just say, "C'est la vie."

Brain-freeze.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see Phoenix just had another haboob. Makes me wish I weren't going there next week!

<Proofreader>
posted
People in Phoenix may want to look into the purchase of something my nephew found in his new backpack -- space for a hydration receptacle. I think it was once called a canteen or just a water bottle.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is "Haboob" anything like "hey Rube?" Both kick up a lot of dust. Or is it the way a guy from down South greets a breast?

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Language Log has an article mentioning some locals' dislike of this term, as mentioned in an article in the NYT.

I particularly liked the first comment to the LL article:
quote:
On the plus side, Ms. Robinson [one of those mentioned in the NYT article] exhibits more colorful, vividly written linguistic xenophobia than your average bigot. Actually, I guess that's not much of a plus.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, for the record, I just got back from Phoenix tonight (been there since Sunday), and the locals I talked with used the term haboob and didn't feel insulted. I had wanted to experience one! Sometimes I think the media whips us up about nothing (I mean the Arizona Republic and not Language Log, which you know I love!).

When I first heard the word, it reminded me of a guy I dated in college, Habeeb. I can feel a limerick coming on!

posted Hide Post
I thought his name was Shufitz.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There once was a fella in college,
Whom I'd very much like to acknowledge.
While sometimes a dweeb,
His name was Habeeb,
We'd boat and we'd row and we'd loll the edge.

Oh, my. Not one of my best! I always liked his name, and now I like the word haboob.