Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blowsies Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A favorite word of mine has always been blowsy or blowzy. However, I saw it used this way in the book I am reading: "Please remember you and Pidge attract attention as my relatives so spare me blowsies." I suppose it means "unkempt clothing," since they were talking about clothes. However, I have only seen blowsy used as an adjective. Have you seen it used that way?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is Still Missing: Amelia Earhart and the Search for Modern Feminism the book you'rereading? On page 106 it says:
quote:
Amelia was now supporting her mother entirely and helping her sister out financially, and she seemed to think that her financial contributions allowed her to interfere as well "Please throw away rags and get things you need on my account at Filenes." she told her mother immediately after her 1928 flight. "I can do it now, and the pleasure is mine." She was still badgering her mother about clothers in 1935. "Please remember you and Pidge attract attention as my relatives so spare me blowsies. I'd prefer you to get a few simple decent clothes, both of you, not awful cheapies, so people who don't look below the surface won't have anything to converse about."

I think blowsies refers to cheap, shoddy clothes in that quote. I've never heard blowsies before, but it seems she was just turning the adjective blowzy into a noun, but she didn't seem to use it quite right. Blowzy refers to neatness (or, rather, lack of neatness); i.e., disheveled, unkempt. Blowsies seemed to refer to the quality (cheap, shoddy, not stylish) rather than the neatness of the clothes. I wonder if it was a common slang word in those days?

See page 745 here.

I ran across an article you might like, WOMEN IN FLIGHT: Balloons, Parachutes, Airplanes, and the Search for Equity

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have seen used only as an adjective, too, but I wonder if it was used as a noun then...or if that was just the author.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post