Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you know? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I recently heard a great report on NPR from a French reporter. She was talking about a group in France who let the air out of tires of SUVs and put fliers on cars talking about the environmental disaster of these vehicles. She mentioned a French word they use on these fliers that was perfect because it was a great pun. Does anyone, perchance, know that word? I tried to Google for it, but couldn't find the report.

I know that's not much to go from, but I thought maybe some of our Europeans had heard about it.

BTW, the American host said, "Why do they just let the air out of the tires? Why don't they smash the SUVs to pieces?" I couldn't believe it! The reporter said that they were 'middle-classed people' who were solely interested in the environment, and they didn't want to cause that much trouble.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find it on NPR, but could you be talking about Les Dégonflés? Apparently their name means "the deflated ones" and, in slang, "the chickens" or "scaredy cats". On the group's website you'll find pictures of their 'handiwork'.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
From the French de- 'un-' and gonfler 'to inflate, swell up' from Latin conflo (conflare, -avi, -atum) 'to blow up, stir up; kindle, inflame; melt, fuse metals'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's it, Shu! Thanks! The pun must be that the word refers to the "deflated ones," as well as "scaredy cats."

Two newish coinages (at least to me) were mentioned, too, "eco-vigilantes" and "ecowarriors." Also, I hadn't heard of arrondissement before, but it was easy to understand from the context.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I've finally figured out what "SUV" means! Because they're so high off the ground, it must be "Space Underneath Vehicle!"

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes I've seen them on the news! (nearly getting run over...) SUVs kill more people than any other type of vechicle so it's not just an environmental concern...the name's not that catchy to me though! xx

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
SUVs kill more people than any other type of vechicle

That must be a disappointment to the tank and battleship manufacturers...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I have a few single female friends who drive huge, gas-guzzling truck thingies, and I've even had arguements with them about their choices. I just can't believe they'd be so cavalier about the world. I have to admit that I can't bring myself to spend as much time with them as before.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As I posted earlier, because of their height, SUV stands for "Space Under Vehicle."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
SUVs kill more people than any other type of vechicle

I suspect that we don't know just how many accidents these tanks cause.

posted Hide Post
LOL Richard- pedantic much?! Wink

I meant more than any other civilian vehicle, obviously...although you never know... x

Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
Well, to be a real pedant about it, tanks and battleships kill more people per vehicle and per incident. And tanks may kill more per mile (probably not battleships, given the vast ocean mileage they traverse). But there are so many more SUVs that I'd feel sure they have more total kills. Wink

But I would think that for the same reason, automobiles exceed SUVs.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post