Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Tangled Web Login/Join

posted
Sunday (NY) Times magazine had an article on lying, with the interesting assertion:

"English has 112 words for deception, according to one count, each with a different shade of meaning: collusion, fakery, malingering, self-deception, confabulation, prevarication, exaggeration, denial."

Eight down, 104 to go...

RJA

Posts: 488 | Location: Westport CTReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the Eskomos will produce a book explaining what this says about our (inter)national character.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BobHale: Are you referring to this? http://www.princeton.edu/~browning/snow.html

RJA

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Here's some background information on the Eskimo Snow Words Hoax: one, two, three, four, and five.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations zmjezhd!

"Hoax" is the first new contribution.

That makes it 9 down, only 103 to go!

RJA

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post

Parakalo, RJA. How about grift and con? I'd suggest urban legend but that counts as two words, though idiomatically it is hard for me to see why it's not a compound.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Fib, josh, bullshit, and any word outa a politician's mouth. Roll Eyes

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My question is...how many are there for truth? Wink

Cheating a bit, but:

aspersion, backbiting, calumniation, calumny, complete distortion of the facts, corker, deceit, deception, defamation, detraction, dishonesty, disinformation, distortion, evasion, fable, fabrication, falsehood, falseness, falsification, falsity, fib, fiction, fish story, forgery, fraudulence, guile, hyperbole, inaccuracy, invention, libel, mendacity, misrepresentation, misstatement, myth, obloquy, perjury, prevarication, revilement, reviling, slander, subterfuge, tale, tall story, terminological inexactitude, vilification, white lie, whopper, be untruthful, beguile, break promise, bull, con, concoct, deceive, delude, dissemble, dissimulate, distort, dupe, equivocate, exaggerate, fabricate, fake, falsify, fib, forswear, frame, fudge, invent, jazz, jive, make believe, malign, misguide, misinform, misinstruct, mislead, misrepresent, misspeak, misstate, overdraw, palter, perjure, pervert, phony up, plant, prevaricate, promote, put on, queer, snow, soft-soap, string along, victimize.

These come from the online thesaurus, and while many work, some of course don't. Also, some are nouns and some are verbs.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post