Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minefield Login/Join

<texhenge>
posted
How is one expected to navigate the minefield here? Is it expected that we quote dictionaries to each other, or is our living knowledge of language the preferred topic? Maybe the term should be "mindfield"?

<edited to correct doofus English>

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
How is one expected to navigate the minefield here? Is it expected that we quote dictionaries to each other, or is our living knowledge of language the preferred topic? Maybe the term should be "mindfield"?

This board is about language and words in the broadest sense. Nothing is barred providing it has some lexical connection - no matter how vague that might be.

And as for navigation - well, like any unfamiliar territory it takes time to get to know it - but it's an exploration worth undertaking.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
People here have a wide variety of views but a common love of language. They also have a wide variety of ways of expressing themselves. We try - not always successfully - to always be respectful of views even when we disagree. Occasionally feelings on something are so strong that the respect fails. Then we try to back away gracefully.

Any problems between individuals we try yo sort out in PMs rather than on the board, again not always successfully.

As for topics anything that has some noticeable connection with language, however vague, is welcomed and even occasional topics that have nothing whatsoever to do with language.

Don't worry about covering old ground, even (especially?) the longest standing members raise the same topics over and over again.

One last thing, mindfield is OK but there's no minefield. Tread in the wrong place and nothing will explode. The worst that is likely to happen is that you'll get no replies, something everyone of us has experienced.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The Tips for newcomers thread is a good place to start.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Because there are lots of people who are registered here but never comment, isn't it really a mimefield?

<Proofreader>
posted
You certainly should keep that in mime.

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
a mime is a terrible thing to lose ...

All regulars, let's join together in urging the active participation of those registered (and unregistered) members who keep looking on in silence.

We dare you to stop living vicariously and just go ahead and expose yourselves (so to speak).

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
It's awfully quiet out there, Jerry. It's always like this just before they attack.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There are some good answers here, tex. Generally we're pretty easy; not to worry.

The only thing I'd like to stress is what Bob said above and that's the idea of taking complaints, either against others or the Board generally, privately, rather than posting them on the Board. The administrators here include me, arnie, zmj, and wordcrafter, and either of us could help you.

Beyond that, have lots of fun!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<texhenge>
posted
... reminds me of the curious phrase "booby trap", which I doubt was ever used to trap the large bird of the South Pacific.

<edited to correct the errant big finger>

<texhenge>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
The only thing I'd like to stress is what Bob said above and that's the idea of taking complaints, either against others or the Board generally, privately, rather than posting them on the Board.

It is clear to me the offensive "Junior Member" title is driving people away or into silence. Seeing members with thousands of posts is intimidating. The bosses here would be well advised to get rid of the "nnn Member" titles and "number of posts" counter, and substitute the far more standard "date joined" title. The setup of this board is deliberately intimidating and elitist, and many of the comments are condescending. This isn't a complaint or a criticism, it's a simple fact.

I used a nifty little program called "Teleport Ultra" to download this site and the host site in its entirety, and then used some intel ops software to parse and analyze the posts. You should do the same before you take this discussion further.

Hermann Khan, founder of the intel think tank The Hudson Institute used to tell me that "It is better to dissolve problems than to solve them, for then there is no residual task of implementation" which means that if you'd dissolve the elitism you wouldn't have to solve the problem of deplorably low participation.

God sent me to tell you this because I am fearless and I am right. Being wrong is no crime-- you're free to go. BTW, with all the delightful wits here, I'd think you'd jump at a chance to infuse new blood.

<edited to correct problems with astigmatic one eye>

posted Hide Post
quote:
The setup of this board is deliberately intimidating and elitist, and many of the comments are condescending. This isn't a complaint or a criticism, it's a simple fact.

I would vouchsafe that it is neither simple nor a fact; it is an opinion - and you have the right to express it. I don't happen to agree with it - and I have that right.

And, since you choose to bring god into the debate, let me tell you that I feel this adds nothing to your argument. I have never seen any evidence, anywhere, that indicates to me that each and every deity is other than simply a creation of its adherants. In other words, gods only exist in the minds of those who believe in them. And using self-belief as justification for action, is precisely what those who start wars do.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
<texhenge>
posted
Richard, I'm having a difficult time with the words, but the God comment was meant to be some sort of hyperbolic parody. Anything that confers status on the participants like titles and tallys, serves to intimidate. Whether or not intended to be elitist, it seems so to a "Junior Member".

I enjoy your point of view; you're probably right-- it is neither simple nor a fact, but rather a looming apprehension. The word "elitist" sure has provoked a discussion.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is clear to me the offensive "Junior Member" title is driving people away or into silence.
I doubt that. As I said, you are the only person to ever mention that moniker. There are plenty of other Boards out there, with lots of members, that have distinctive names after every 100 posts or so, and we purposely chose not to do that. Besides, you're a "Member" now like the rest of us.

As I have said to you via PM (which you've not answered) and on the Board, please take Board complaints privately. That's the way this Board is run. Thanks so much!

<texhenge>
posted
How do I find the "PM" to which you refer. If I select the "Go/personal Zone'Private Messaging" it is not there.

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
The word "elitist" sure has provoked a discussion.

An elitist thinks it is just fine
For others to wait in a line.
But he’s too good to queue
So he’ll waltz in past you --
He's entitled, as God’s gift divine.

posted Hide Post
There's definitely something wrong with the system at present. Both my PM and latest public posting have just disappeared. This is my third attempt to post this.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Richard, I've sent you a PM to check if you can respond. If you get it send me your limerick as a reply.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
How do I find the "PM" to which you refer. If I select the "Go/personal Zone'Private Messaging" it is not there.
It is in reply to the welcoming PM I had sent you when you first came. I will send you a new PM to see if that works. You are correct about how to access the PM function.

Strange because my PM system has been working perfectly...maybe too perfectly. In the last 2 days it has, in fact, been quite active!

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
[quoting tex]the offensive "Junior Member" title is driving people away or into silence.[/quoting tex]
I doubt that. As I said, you are the only person to ever mention that moniker.
Hey, Kalleh, that's not quite true. I mentioned it, but I got outvoted.

Tex, you and I both feel uneasy with showing the post count. But it seems we're a minority view.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Well, the issue at first (and that's the one I was referring to in that quote) was the "Junior Member" name that newbies get for the first 25 posts. If you recall, Wordcrafter, we chose "Junior Member" over "Newbie" for just that reason.

I don't recall the numbers of posts ever being discussed, but it was a long time ago. As I said in some thread with this same complaint, I never think the number of posts means anything; it's the quality of posts that make a difference.

<texhenge>
posted
Wordcrafter, in polite society there are usually many of common thought before anyone gets the cajones to stand up to the elite and raise a rookus about things that need changing. Their response has been typical-- ours has not.

Three will get you five none of the interesting words or phrases here will attract their attention other than the descriptive one they fear. A real group of leaders carefully combs the dissent out of the mediocrity and uses it to perceive the mood and help steer the ship to help the most, not suppress the views of the few. Sometimes you have to get a receiver crunched out of bounds to make a first down and stop the clock. Someone needs to bunt to allow someone on second to progress. Ad nauseum.

<edited to correct some doofus English>

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Tex, I don't see this board as being elitist in the least. There are strong personalities and meek ones, as there are in any group, but no elite.

Some years ago I participated on a word-related discussion board where I did feel that if I weren't a part of the "in group" I was considered a pariah, but I've not sensed it here. While I'm not among the brightest or best-educated, I've never been told to shut up and go away as though I were a "guest" on Bill O'Reilly.

While it's been said that possession is 9/10 of the law, I feel that perception is the whole law. How one views a situation is that person's reality. I can't tell you that your view is wrong, since for you it isn't, but I can tell you that others have different views. In a democratic society, it's the majority that rules. In a "PC" society, everybody tiptoes around, fearful of upsetting someone else. This is not a "PC" board, but a democratic one.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The subject of the title of "Junior Member" has come up a couple of times in the past but the general consensus has been to leave it alone. The most recent discussion I could find was in this thread from 2005.

I've taken a look round the control panel for the forum software, and although there is the ability to change titles easily, or to not display any, the post count seems to be displayed automatically, without the option to turn it off, or to display the date joined.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
You only feel like a "Junior Member" if people treat you that way. That most certainly is NOT how I was treated from day one and I haven't seen anyone else misused in any way since I've been here.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Three will get you five none of the interesting words or phrases here will attract their attention other than the descriptive one they fear. A real group of leaders carefully combs the dissent out of the mediocrity and uses it to perceive the mood and help steer the ship to help the most, not suppress the views of the few. Sometimes you have to get a receiver crunched out of bounds to make a first down and stop the clock. Someone needs to bunt to allow someone on second to progress. Ad nauseum.

Is this a comment or another minefield? I have to say I find it too hard for me to navigate.

Richard English