Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hang man the kids game Login/Join

posted
How did we get the word Game 'Hang Man' ....I played it when I was 6yrs old...Who Started that one?...Dont you think it was a bit much drawing a persons body hanging from a pole at that age?...

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's an interesting question. I don't know the answer but I expect some of our research experts here will come up with something.

I'd guess though that kids have been kids through the ages and they just love the gruesome games - the more gruesome the better in fact.
In days when capital punishment was not just the norm but that society without it was unthinkable the impact that this would have had (either on the kids or their parents) would have been far less than it is on our more liberal modern sensitivities.

That's just my opinion though and not based on anything factual. Over to the research bods now I think.

Oh yes, welcome to the board.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Welcome, goofball! Cool Smile Big Grin Wink

We are a friendly bunch here...hope you'll stay with us!

We used to play hangman all the time with our kids, especially when we'd go out to dinner and were waiting for our food to come. It was a great way to teach them about words and especially about tricks with words. For example, they'd come up with words with lots of uncommon letters ("pizza" was a favorite) to confuse people.

I don't have time to look for the origin right now, but you have challenged me! Great question.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Graham Nice
posted Hide Post
I still play hangman with my chemistry students for words such as deprotonation and disproportionation The last time was with weak metallic bonds.

I don't think the UK ones connect it with capital punishment, really, as it is so long since anybody was executed here. They find my illustrations of the uses for potassium chloride and HCN quite alien as well.

Posts: 382 | Location: CambridgeReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's what I found about "hangman" in Wikipedia:

"The origins of Hangman are obscure, but it seems to have arisen in Victorian times," says Tony Augarde, author of "The Oxford Guide to Word Games" (Oxford University Press).

The game is mentioned in Alice Bertha Gomme's "Traditional Games" in 1894 under the name "Birds, Beasts and Fishes." The rules are simple. A player writes down the first and last letters of a word for an animal, and the other player guesses the letters in between.

In other sources the game is called "Gallows" or "The Game of Hanging".

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
They find my illustrations of the uses for potassium chloride and HCN quite alien as well.

Having never taken chemistry this confuses me. What are they used for?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
This is a word board...so I ask you, what are some of the hard phrases you could use in hangman? Shu and I were having coffee, and I fooled him with "Qermaq on OEDILF." Now, Shu didn't think that fair because he never accesses OEDILF and had no idea who Qermaq is. But, hey, this may be the very first time in my life I have ever beaten him at an intellectual game, so I have to have a little leaway! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
I still play hangman with my chemistry students

I do too, Graham, with my translation studies students (and they're far from being kids!) When they're at a loss for a specific word, they call out "Hangman! Hangman!" Sounds a bit macabre...

Posts: 266 | Location: GreeceReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
quote:
They find my illustrations of the uses for potassium chloride and HCN quite alien as well.

But surely you've read Sherlock Holmes! Holmes sniffs a bottle, says it smells of almonds, and...

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Caterwauller:
quote:

I see no one has answered your question, yet, CW. HCN, hydrogen cyanide, was commonly used in the gas chamber in the U.S. for executions. Zylon B was an insecticide containing prussic (or hydrocyanic) acid (HCN + water) that was used in the infamous Nazi gas chambers. We have more humane ways to kill people now. Potassium chloride is used for lethal injection (and for other, more benign, purposes).

Tinman

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
But, hey, this may be the very first time in my life I have ever beaten him [shufitz] at an intellectual game, so I have to have a little leaway! Wink
You can have all the leaway you wish, as long as you don't expect any leeway!

[DucksAndRunsForCover icon]
[MayBeSleepingOnTheCouchTonight icon]

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Awww, heck. Now everyone knows why I always lose when I play games with you. Our chess days were the worst! Plus, I hate to lose so that doesn't help. Roll Eyes