Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Horking - ??? Login/Join

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I just ran across this bit of slang, and am not familiar with it. The context was someone's "horking" some ale through his nose upon reading a daffy comment. Is it something you "REAL" beer drinkers do routinely? Confused

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Never heard it. Are you sure it wasn't honking?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it - although I have heard of a word pronounced that way (I don't know how it's spelt) which means "to spit". I seem to recall that it's Australian.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it, either. It might be a coinage; an attempt to describe the sound he made onomatopoeically.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids used to hork goobs, or hork up a loogie all the time when I was a lad. It was a talent that I could never master, though I tried. I remember it more as the precursor to the act of spitting--the action of bringing up the phlegm; although it was also associated with the entire spitting act, too.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
hork up a loogie

In my neck of the woods, one said to hock up a loogie.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In relation to spitting, especially spitting up phlegm I've always thought it was spelled "hawk".

As here.

(Fifth meaning down)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
In relation to spitting, especially spitting up phlegm I've always thought it was spelled "hawk".

The OED gives hawk, and the DARE offers, "sometimes sp. hock. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I grew up, the noun hawk and the verb hock to not rhyme. The vowels are those of caught and father respectively. "hock a loogie" gets 10.9K ghits, and "hawk a loogie" gets 1.5K ghits. The Eggcorn database offers this. For the record, my dialect still distinguishes between caught and cot. Here's what Dave Wilton says. I'm not sure how Myth Jellies pronounced hork.

[Fixed a typo. And changed cop to caught.]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie Ratatouille last night. (It had been released the day before.) In one scene Remy, the hero tries to teach his brother Émil to be a bit more sophisticated about fine food. He says,
    “Close your eyes … Now take a bite of this. No! No! No! Don’t just hork it down!!”
(enjoy the short video-clip here or here or, if neither works on your player, find more copies by googling remy hork.)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Very nice usage, Hic. Yes, we saw that movie this weekend, too.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Ratatouille

Here's an interesting blog entry I ran across today about Disney-Pixar using blogs to generate PR for their new animated movie.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Are you gonna post a movie review? Cool

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here ya go, Asa. I'm here to please. Wink

I liked Ratatouille better than The Incredibles; I didn't much like the latter, but I really enjoyed Ratatouille. I think it's because the characters are better developed in Ratatouille. Even though Remy is a rat, you root for him throughout the movie.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Remy, a rat? Nooooooo, he was my late doctor friend, and you and Shu met him!!!

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, but he was such a cute rat...and discriminating...and so talented... Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Well, Shrek is an ogre and you are supposed to root for him... In the latest film I understand Prince Charming is the baddie. I've only read bad reviews of Shrek 3, by the way; has anyone seen that and disagree that it's a turkey?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Shrek 3 very much. Shrek goes out on a quest to find "the true king", who is Arthur . . . away at boarding school. Meanwhile, Charming and the evil trees, Capt. Hook, etc, lay seige on the castle where Fiona(now preggers) and other princesses are being help captive. There's some fun humor with Merlin (voiced by Eric Idle), and Puss in Boots and Donkey switching bodies and stuff. Oh yes, and the princesses join together and come out of their fairytale stereotypes to kick butt, which I love. It's a little cliche, but then, isn't most of cartoon comic based on cliche? We all three had a really fun time.

I usually rate movies by how much I'd be willing to spend on seeing it. For Shrek 3, I'd say not first run, but I'd definitely see it in a twilight show (a few bucks cheaper than full price) and not wait for the cheaps (the dollar show).

I've also see Ratatouille, and it is delightful, as well! From Pixar, the animation is, of course, cutting edge. They've done a marvelous job with the fur and the lighting and all of the extra details that if you don't notice them that means they're good. The dialogue and wit isn't as sharp as the Shrek movies, but the story is sweet and delicious. Again, I don't know if I'd pay full-price, but I definitely wouldn't hesitate to go while it's still in those theaters if I have a dollar discount or something.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
A dollar discount? You mean movies cost MORE than a dollar? Damn!!! Confused

Slightly behind the times Asa

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Hmmmm....don't you mean "Majorly behind the times Asa"? Wink

I am curious; how much does a movie/film/cinema cost in the UK?

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Heck, I'd like to know how much they cost in Portland! Chicago, even! Right now in Columbus, I think a full-price movie is $6.00 or $6.50, depending on the venue. Twilight shows are usually a dollar less. Second-run movies can be found for $1.50.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It's about 10 or 12 dollars here on the fringes of the SFBA for first-run movies in a fancy googolplex cube. Couple of, few, bucks off for matinées. There are places you can rent a DVD of an older release for about a buck. TV is still free, except for the electricity, if you still have rabbit-ears.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
A first-run film is 20 pesos (a little more than two dollars) in Acapulco.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It's $9 in the Chicago suburbs. Perhaps it's more downtown in the city.

I wonder what it is in NY if it's that much in SF.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by neveu:
A first-run film is 20 pesos (a little more than two dollars) in Acapulco.

That seems about right according to this interesting site. I went through it as a teacher buying a dozen eggs. In Pasadena, I had to work 2mins for it; 10mins in Cortázar, Guanajuato. Since I have to work 5X as long for my dollar in Mexico, my $2 is comparable to the Californian's $10.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
In the UK, as I suspect elsewhere, it depends where and when you go. Most of our cinemas are now multiplexes and the one I go to charges £5 in the off peak slots and £7 for peak showings.
City centre cinemas cost more, West End Cinemas cost even more.

Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
In the Philadelphia suburbs a first-run film is $9.75, unless you are over the age of 60, in which case, you qualify for the senior price of 6.75. Matinees are 7.75 for the under-60, but still 6.75 for senior citizens.

We used to be able to attend sometimes even first-run movies for $2 at the Colonial Theater in Phoenixville, PA (it's the theater that all of the teenagers come screaming out of in the terrible and famous 50's classic horror movie, "The Blob!") Phoenixville's only about 15 minutes from us. Alas, now that it's been preserved as an historical gem, it has a regular admission of $7, with $6 for seniors and $4 for members and children. Seems we should join the Colonial Theater. Every summer, after all, they have a BlobFest. Who could miss that?

Wordmatic

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordmatic,

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
The two nearest cinemas to me charge £7.50 or £8.00 (US$15-$16) for an adult ticket to an evening performance. In the West End of London, The Odeon, Leicester Square, charges £9.00 (US$18) for a stalls seat to £17.50 ($35) for a seat in the Royal Circle.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:

The OED gives hawk, and the DARE offers, "sometimes sp. hock. Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I grew up, the noun hawk and the verb hock to not rhyme. The vowels are those of cop and father respectively. "hock a loogie" gets 10.9K ghits, and "hawk a loogie" gets 1.5K ghits. The Eggcorn database offers this. For the record, my dialect still distinguish between caught and cot. Here's what Dave Wilton says. I'm not sure how Myth Jellies pronounced hork.

well, leave us not be incomplete on this matter(!): "hork up a loogie" gets 29 ghits - including this thread, of course.

*<8^D

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsuwm:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by zmježd:...
Here in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I grew up, the noun hawk and the verb hock to not rhyme... The vowels are those of cop and father respectively.
In upstate New York where I grew up, you'd be had pressed to find a difference in vowel sound between cop and father!

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
you'd be had pressed to find a difference in vowel sound between cop and father!

Good catch, bethree5, I meant to type caught. Don't know what I was thinking. There is a distinction in RP of British English.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
quote:
you'd be had pressed to find a difference in vowel sound between cop and father!

Good catch, bethree5, I meant to type caught. Don't know what I was thinking. There is a distinction in RP of British English.

Oh, for heaven't sake. & here I was thinking in SF they say "cawp" for "cop", as they do in Bahston.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Bahston

No, but sometimes folks would mistake my dad and uncles' North Beach Italian accent for a New Jersey one.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Funny thing, that. The classic Boston 'street' accent & NY 'street' accent have much in common, & I'm betting that "much" = a Sicilian cadence, sprinkled liberally with Irish "t"'s (the one that sounds like "ts").

I am the only un-blooded Italian in my family. My mom-in-law's family had the Brooklyn-Italian accent; my dad-in-law's too, but that family came down from Boston a generation back, so dh has a bit of each. However, he moved to Queens (near Jamaica) when little, & that accent overrides the whole bit with its completely mushed-together consonants.

I tell my upstate-NY relatives that the NJ accent is just like Brooklyn's, only s-l-o-w-e-r. Must be all the gardens.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Sicilian

Well, in San Francisco most of the Italians from the late 19th and early 20th century immigrations were from Genova (hence Levi-Strauss' choice of denims for his jeans (from the French adjectival form Gênes), Genua (in Latin), Genoa (in English), Zena (in local Ligurian dialect and the name of a brand of jeans, too). There are many similarities between San Francisco and Genova. Both big port cities and full of eccentrics. Besides jeans, Genova brought us Chris Columbus, pesto, cioppino (fish stew, from dialect word ciuppin pronounced chew ping with an ultimate accent). There are some similarities between Sicilian and Genoese dialects owing to their equal distance from Rome and Tuscany (home of Dante who wrote a great book in Latin about why folks should write in Italian).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:
Sicilian

from Genova (hence Levi-Strauss' choice of denims for his jeans (

It sounds like a convoluted metaphor to me. I thought we got "denim" from "serge de Nimes," and since "Nimes" is a place name... Confused

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It was convoluted. The word jeans is from the French adjectival form Gênes. Denim is from another city as you said.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.